Head of Business Lending
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Customer Solutions design develop the end of end customer experience through using insight and intelligence to drive the design and development of propositions and products that are delivered digitally. Atom’s approach is highly customer orientated, with an emphasis on transparency, fairness and value. Customer Solutions ensure customer insight and feedback informs decisions, alongside wider market dynamics in the core objective of Atom’s products being differentiated and ahead of the market.
The Head of Commercial Lending is responsible for the design, development of all aspects of the various business banking propositions and day to day management of Atom business banking retail products. This will be achieved with market-leading product design, pricing strategies, assessing external changes, market opportunities and customer needs, customer journeys, propositional regulator/compliance adherence and risk management.
In relation to the Certification Regime you must:
- assist the firm with their requirement to ensure that you remain fit and proper to perform your role
- pay due regard to all relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- help the bank to ensure the ongoing provision of fair customer outcomes
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Head of Business Lending, your responsibilities will include;
- Develop long-term strategic proposition plans and short-term proposition management, setting and prioritising product roadmaps, demonstrating business value and working closely with key stakeholders to achieve the business’s strategies and plans including the responsibility for the delivery of the BCR programme.
- Work collaboratively with Propositions Design to ensure business lending propositions within Atom including secured, unsecured products delivered direct, by brokers and Atom’s business insight proposition are fit for purpose and support and support attraction and retention strategies.
- Monitor external markets, to ensure the personal product range is relevant to market conditions & customer need
- Manage the business lending proposition performance including management of pricing and of financial performance in conjunction with key stakeholders, in particular risk, finance and operations.
- Ensure the business lending proposition is fit for purpose, to support acquisition and retention strategies
- Develop the strategic roadmap for business products, ensuring that this aligns to the wider Propositions roadmap and strategic plan for the business, and maintain the portfolio of products to meet customer demand and optimise commercial value
- Manage the product level customer journeys and supporting propositions processes Work with key stakeholders to ensure relevant technological and industry advances are incorporated into proposition development
- Work with the Insight and Intelligence team to provide input and insight into pricing models, and with first and second line risk teams to manage the bank’s credit and operational risk exposures.
- Maintain and manage product Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) and mandatory communications
- Work with the Digital Experience team to undertake and resolve root cause analysis and resolution on customer and broker feedback relating to the proposition
- Proactively identify and manage the risks involved in building and running the bank, including propositional regulatory, Compliance and Conduct Risk adherence
- Make recommendations and provide relevant reporting to internal governance committees including ExCo, P&SCC, PriceCo and ALCo
- Ensure the Business Lending team acts as the subject matter expert for all aspects of the business lending propositions for the broader business, and ensure detailed specification requirements for associated proposition changes (both for strategic initiatives and tactical small change)
- Effectively manage relationships with key stakeholders across the business, including the Finance, Risk and Distribution functions
What do we need from you?
- Significant demonstrable experience in proposition or product management within retail banking FS, with demonstrable experience within business banking
- Demonstrable customer research / insight experience
- Up-to-Date regulatory knowledge (FCA Handbook, MCOB, ICOB and CONC)
- Experience of managing pricing and risk strategies for products
- Highly numerate and articulate
- Commercially astute and customer oriented.
- Strong influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Up to date external market knowledge / FS market trends
- The role holder will be educated to degree standard and may hold a postgraduate qualification from a reputable business school. They will have a have a record of integrity and good repute; and have sufficient time to fully carry out their responsibilities without conflict of interests.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of working with a start-up
- Innovation / thought leadership / industry knowledge
- Resilience, Can Do.
- High energy, flourishes in fast paced, dynamic environments
- Customer Centricity
What you’ll get from us?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at