We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The Customer department is made up of Marketing, Insight & intelligence, Propositions & Design. It’s the team that ensures all of our decisions are driven by our customers and insight. The role of the department is to shape the products we create with data and insight, build the most customer-centric experience there is, and create the Atom brand by promoting our key messages with attitude, confidence and intelligence.
The Digital experience team collaborate with the wider business to develop brilliant, human centred digital solutions that make customers lives easier.
The team are a family of industry leading visual design, user experience and voice of the customer experts, that utilise insight to inform and enable the continuous improvement of the overall Atom experience.
The Interaction designer will work across CX, UX and Visual Design teams, supporting the delivery of visual artefacts for our customer facing platforms. You will work alongside Research, UX, Visual designers and Developers, to support the delivery of best-in-class customer experiences, ensuring the Atom experience is differentiated and highly customer centric.
You will have a strong understanding of all the elements of interaction design and experience of working in multidisciplinary teams. You will have a solid technical understanding and be comfortable delivering high fidelity prototypes and the development of design systems which will ensure the consistent application of Atom’s design language.
In addition to these responsibilities, you will form part of an agile delivery team, supporting the on-going iteration and optimisation of Atom’s customer facing journeys and platforms under the direction of the Principal Designer.
You will be up to date with the external competitive environment, using this knowledge to create visual brand and customer experiences aligned to Atom’s strategy to digitise and disrupt. You will be responsible for your continued professional development, understanding best-in-class design, championing the design function and best practice design across Atom.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- On-going iteration of our brand language through UI design development, aligned to our overall brand identity and accountable to the Principal Designer
- Establish professional relationships with a range of stakeholders to ensure effective collaboration in sharing information, resources and support
- Fulfil user needs in the use of design services, products and tools
- Create and iterate prototypes to test and communicate ideas and help the wider team learn about user needs
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team in an agile environment to turn concepts into user-centred designs
- Maintain the visual identity for Atom’s customer facing platforms (currently app and website), working closely with CX Research, UX and development teams to ensure design elements can be practically managed delivered
- Create graphic elements, assets and visual treatments that adapt to, influence and complement customer journeys, creating a distinct and engaging branded experience
- Provide guidance, design development and branded assets as needed within the business as an in-house design service
- Ensure the performance and effectiveness of Atom’s visual design is monitored, taking on-board customer feedback, reviews and external commentary, embedding a culture of optimisation and iteration to improve deliveries
- Deliver constant iteration and improvement as a core member of our agile delivery team
- Ensure all design work is fully documented, including the maintenance of visual design guidelines, alongside an asset library that can be used across the business as appropriate
- Ensure quality output and effective workflow management, approvals and audit trails
- Proactive in ongoing personal development, maintaining an external perspective on best-in-class design and consumer trends
- Contribute to building an open and collaborative culture within the department and the design community.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Design qualified with relevant degree and/or design qualifications
- Strong understanding of User Centred Design best practice and interaction design fundamentals
- Experience of working collaboratively in cross-discipline design teams with exposure to designing customer journeys and a strong appreciation of UX and developer disciplines
- Proficient digital skills including Adobe CS, along with a strong understanding of user interfaces, user experience and navigation principles
- Ability to take a broad, conceptual idea and turn it into a tangible, delightful, usable experience for our customers
- Production of and adherence to visual style guides to create interactive and user centric products
- Ability to clearly articulate design decisions with clear and informed rationale
- Knows when to use a specific prototyping technique or method (for example, sketch, code, HiFi or paper)
- Understands the appropriate media to communicate findings. Shapes and shares communications cognisant of the audience. Able to give tactical recommendations
- Embrace new technologies and ways of thinking creatively.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Demonstrable experience of design agency experience or equivalent
- Designing for, or conceptual work for app and web
- Experience of working in an Agile/Lean workflow
- Working in a fast-paced environment
- Passion and drive
- Encourages joined up teamwork within own team and across other groups
- Understands the bigger picture (high-level flows and processes) as well as the fine detail of individual parts.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at