Junior UX Designer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Within Digital experience our primary focus is to make what matters most to customer better, together. We utilise customer insight to inform our design thinking, collaborating across the business to solutionise and deliver customer centric journeys, which are monitored to understand the impact they make, where we constantly scrutinise the performance to identify further areas of improvement across our customer touchpoints.
As part of our iterative design process, we define and understand our customer needs and incorporate these into design proposals which are thoroughly user tested through remote and in-person, using standard methodologies, using metrics to measure performance and propose design solutions to stakeholders. Here we manage our internal approval process of our customer journeys and work with our technology teams to ensure a streamlined delivery that meets the needs of our customers.
As a team, we never stop iterating. We never stop listening to our customers. We never stop monitoring our data. We never stop improving.
What’s in it for you?…other than working for a super cool Fintech!
- Competitive Salary - benchmarked against industry standards
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As a Junior UX Designer at Atom, you will be tasked to develop the Atom experience across all customer touchpoints to deliver market leading user experience in the finance sector. Under the direction of the UX Lead, and with support from the wider team you’ll use Atom’s design standards and processes to create best in class experiences aligned to the business direction, resulting in great customer feedback.
As the Junior UX Designer, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining Atom’s customer experience in respect to UX design and usability testing. Working in close collaboration with departments across the business whilst defining solutions and with the technology and delivery teams through build, to ensure effective technical delivery. As part of this role, you’ll work in an agile framework, across Atom’s delivery framework to ensure we grow the bank with new initiatives, keep on-top of regulatory changes and constantly iterate the existing experiences.
The Atom experience must be integrated and joined up from a customer perspective, you will utilise customer journey mapping with stakeholders across the business to achieve this goal. You’ll use a range of tools to understand what experiences are available in the market today, to bring an understanding of what good looks like. You will complete user testing across atom’s experiences during the design process, using industry standard methodologies and measuring performance with usability metrics. You’ll be expected to present your work through these stages to all levels of stakeholders across the business, as well as within committees to gain approval for your work.
You’ll be expected to keep up to date with the external competitive environment, using this insight to inform your design thinking and feed into your creation of digital experiences aligned to Atom’s strategy. You will be responsible for your own personal development, supported by the UX Lead.
What do we need from you?
- Design qualified with relevant degree and/or design qualifications
- Proficient in design tools, specifically Adobe XD and Illustrator
- Ability to take a broad conceptual idea and turn it into a tangible, delightful, usable experience
- Ability to clearly articulate design decisions
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback to and from stakeholders to raise standards
- Passion and drive
- Proactive approach to personal development
- Proactivity to keeping up to date with design best proactive
- Understanding of User Centred Design best practice
- Understanding of Apple and Google Guidelines
- Understanding of web design principles
- Experience of working collaboratively in a cross-discipline design team with a strong appreciation for UX and research.
- Prototyping and conceptual design work
- Embrace new technologies and ways of thinking creatively
What would we ideally like from you?
- Designing and testing for accessibility standards
- Experience in completing journey mapping
- Experience in running UX Workshops
- Experience of working in an agile framework
- Working in a fast past environment
- Experience undertaking user testing research methodologies and metrics
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at