Senior Site Reliability Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Here’s some of the tech we use:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
It’s important that our everyone in our team has drive, passion, enthusiasm and a genuine interest in changing the banking industry as well as providing exceptional customer service.
The DevOps team works at the heart of Atom. The team is made up of site reliability engineers, cloud specialists, testers, and scrum master. Together they ensure that Atom manages its Google Cloud Platform infrastructure and environments which enable developers to develop, testers to test and customers to use Atom production app. Automation is at the heart of everything we do in DevOps, providing speed, reliability and consistency across the entire Atom cloud platform.
At Atom we are continuing with a major transformation piece of work, to migrate our current banking applications to the Google Public Cloud using the latest DevOps tooling and method.
To achieve this successfully we are looking for someone that can work with our team and partners to deliver our new banking applications on the Cloud. Once the current infrastructure is built then the engineer will be part of a team responsible for continuing to develop high quality, automated and secure build, and deployment processes to enable Atom to quickly release new features and products.
We are looking to add an experienced DevOps enthusiast to our team as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- You’ll be reporting directly to our SRE Development and Architecture Lead, who leads the DevOps team
- Close collaboration with the internal teams & 3rd parties for daily stand-ups, requirement gathering and project planning
- Work with other teams to research and gather project requirements
- Break requirements down into stories and tasks, along with work estimates
- Ensure the best practices of trustworthy computing and secure development and implementation lifecycle are adhered to
- Work on your own, or with other team members, to design and develop a wide range of key systems
- Provide expertise and guidance to design and develop a wide range of key systems
- Ensure our engineering processes have a focus on scalability and performance
- Configure and deploy regular software releases using a continuous delivery pipeline
- Provide support and maintenance of software and tooling
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Significant experience in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Significant experience of working with at least one of the major cloud platforms, e.g. AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Significant experience of working as either sole point of contact or in a small, wide responsibility team
- Experience of Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment
- Experience of Cloud secrets, passwords, token management using Hashicorp Vault
- Knowledge of containerised workloads and Kubernetes
- Strong understanding of Agile Development Processes (e.g., SCRUM & Kanban)
- Experience of Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and Ansible
- Experience of Version control using GitLab
- Good knowledge of build and deployment pipelines using Jenkins
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of conducting frequent code reviews
- Configuration as Code/Data as Code knowledge
- Experience or knowledge of Microservices, Bash scripting, APIs
- Knowledge of Python & Golang
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at