Backend Engineering Lead
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. So, if this appeals to you, consider joining us to deliver innovative solutions.
Want to join us?
The Atom Engineering department comprises of Front-End, Back-End, SRE, and Testing capabilities. They make up the engine room that powers the development of our app and associated services, all of which are essential for the running of a secure, resilient, and visible cloud-based bank.
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to create awesome new features for our customers and to make sure the platform is running smoothly. Our agile approach to software development allows us to release updates when they are ready and needed, rather than to a rigid schedule.
Our back-end services mainly follow a microservice CQRS pattern, and we use Golang for core microservices and Java for data services. We do use some traditional enterprise software in our back-end engineering, but this has mainly been broken down into microservices or being assessed to do so. Each one of our microservices runs on Google Kubernetes Engine(GKE), which is supported by some innovative automated pipelines developed by our award-winning DevOps/SRE team. These enable our engineers to build and deploy through the stack.
We’re looking for a Back-End Engineering Lead to head up our Back-End capability and lead a team of talented and creative Back-End engineers. This person will be a key leader in the Engineering practice, so you’ll need to be passionate about leading & have extensive software engineering experience with agile development knowledge.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Provide technical leadership to the engineers and be accountable for the technical decisions made on your team
- Lead our Back-End Engineering team - coach them, advocate for them, remove blockers, foster a high performing culture
- Own the technical roadmap for middleware, data and integration development guilds within Atom Engineering
- Continued capability development, with a particular focus on ensuring the team have the right technology skills to build and maintain Atom’s cutting-edge middleware, data and integration microservices
- Collaborate with other capabilities within Atom Engineering to ensure the software development lifecycle is optimised and velocity is maintained
- Collaborate with Atom’s Architecture and Advanced Engineering Group to ensure new technology solutions are understood and scoped for the engineers to pick up and deliver using an Agile methodology
- Build a culture of engineering excellence with a focus on performance, scalability, privacy, and security.
What do we need from you?
- A passion for people management, great products and product design
- Significant experience of leading teams in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Significant experience of working with Back-End technologies Golang, Java, Python
- A broad understanding of full stack development in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Working knowledge of best practices/standards in API, data and microservices development
- Ability to collaborate with all development and testing teams to ensure end-to-end capability development and velocity is maintained.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Experience of working closely with DevOps/SRE, Test, Web and App development teams
- Working experience in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Knowledge scalable databases (NoSQL & SQL)
- Experience with REST APIs
- Knowledge Google Cloud Platform Architecture and Products or similar AWS/Azure
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tooling knowledge
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban etc)
- Secure computing standards and processes
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible and remote working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at