Head of Advanced Engineering
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services.
Our family currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, to deploying and managing our technology services.
As Head of Advanced Engineering at Atom, you’ll be responsible for the rapid prototyping and technical specification of engineering solutions working closely with Solutions Architects to detail (in engineering terms) how solutions are to be engineered and where it makes practical sense to create rapid-prototypes that set the blue-print for the broader engineering community to productionise.
The Advanced Engineering team are gurus, that span all technical domains across the stack. They not only create the up-front specifications/prototypes but are consulted by the wider team during productionisation.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
Lead a team of engineering experts to:
- Take Solutions Architecture and detail Technical Specifications
- Ensure specifications meet design requirements by seeking approval from Technical Architects
- Produce Rapid-prototypes, to act as blue-prints for any aspects of our technology stack, for the broader engineering community to use to manufacture solutions
- Participate in defect resolution to ensure speedy resolutions
- Innovate technical solutions, evaluating concepts to demonstrate the art of the possible
- Collaborate across the technology team, especially Architecture, Engineering and Technical Delivery to ensure effective end to end delivery of change
- Work closely with Product Owners to help facilitate discussions regards technical capabilities and feasibility studies
- Work on specific initiatives as governed by the Technical Delivery function
- Upskill the broader engineering community through seconding engineers into the Advanced Engineering team and sharing learning and expertise
Leadership and Coaching
- Set and support the standards required for a high performing culture and team
- Manage & develop the team ensuring they are an engaged and high performing work unit
- Provide technical support and advice to the team providing oversight to their work and development..
What do we need from you?
- A background in software development, having worked as a developer with a good understanding of programming in multiple programming languages including Python Strong experience in managing end to end full stack development
- Proven experience of demonstrating good software industry practices behaviours
- Demonstrable leadership capabilities with the ability to build and inspire strong technical teams.
- Strong project management skills / qualifications ideally with Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Experience in defining and managing software development with quantifiable measures to deliver software releases to planned schedules, budgets and quality
- Define and report software development status in a meaningful manner
- Logical approach, adaptability, and ability to think outside the box during problem solving
- Clear communicator both written and verbally
- Background in Financial Services sector
- A hands-on appreciation to Mobile App, Middleware, API and Web development.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Knowledge of Native mobile development (IoS and Android), React, Python, Kafka and other C-like or Java languages
- Certification: PMP, Prince2 or Agile Certification
- A PMP/Prince2 or Agile Certification
- Demonstrable experience of successful end to end delivery of software development projects with multi-million-pound budgets at a portfolio level
- Ability to define and manage Change Control experience and IT Governance as well as participate within these processes
- Knowledge of network infrastructure, cloud infrastructure, and associated security principles
- Experience of working in close collaboration with QA Testing, Infrastructure, Architecture, internal and external development teams
- Management of 3rd party engagements (from selection, through execution to closeout)
- Experience of working with a start-up
- Innovation, thought leadership, resilience, high energy & customer centricity.
What you’ll get from us:
- Car Allowance
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 28 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at