Lead Backend Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. Could you be the latest innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Our back-end services mainly follow a microservice CQRS pattern, and we use Golang for core microservices and Java for data services. We do use some traditional enterprise software in our back-end engineering, but this has mainly been broken down into microservices or being assessed to do so. Each one of our microservices runs on Google Kubernetes Engine(GKE), which is supported by some innovative automated pipelines developed by our award-winning DevOps/SRE team. These enable our engineers to build and deploy through the stack.
The Lead Backend Engineer works closely with the Backend Engineering Manager and leads our integration & middleware guild within Backend Engineering to continue to improve, extend and build out our backend services and banking support platforms.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Will be responsible for technical leadership of the one of our Backend Engineering Teams including administration of development activities for the team
- Manage, with the Scrum Masters, daily stand-ups with the Engineering team and escalate any blockers to the Head of Engineering
- You will be responsible for providing technical steer for design and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- Set the standards required within integration/middleware for a high performing team
- Coach and mentor other team members
- You will be responsible for developing various process solutions across business processes and systems using appropriate SW languages/tools
- Design and develop data models/structures and API contracts, data transforms, algorithms using appropriate SW languages/tools
- Be responsible for maintaining all associated design and document artefacts
- Ensure and developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing
- Responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the business and testing teams
- You will work with the business sponsor of the process changes to iteratively improve the solution and hone the data outputs
- Work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
- Play an active role in the Backend support rota and ensure appropriate handling and resolution of any live defects
- Support the Head of Engineering with Release preparation and management of change
What do we need from you?
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience of working with Thought Machine Vault banking platform
- Experience of Event Driven Architectures such as Apache Kafka
- Experience of Golang, Java, Python, SQL & NoSQL
- Working knowledge of APIs and API structures
- Experience working with microservices architecture
- Experience of leading in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Exposure to and understanding of a standard project lifecycle
- Ability to understand business problems and think through technical solutions
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Experience in Middleware technologies such as MuleSoft
- Exposure to agile project methodology
- Knowledge of Native Mobile Development applications
- Work experience in a technical environment
- TDD/BDD experience
- Improvisation and thinking outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
- Working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience
- Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible and remote working
- 4 day week
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at