Lead iOS Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Here’s some of the tech we use:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
It’s important that everyone in our team has drive, passion, enthusiasm and a genuine interest in changing the banking industry as well as providing exceptional customer services.
Technology is what makes the world go round. It is also what enables us to offer the most efficient, user friendly app-based bank and ensures that we remain an employer of choice in the Fintech space.
The Technology team is made up of; Testing, Engineering, DevOps, Change, Service Management & Architecture. Together they design, develop and deliver a customer journey that represents Atom and its strong values throughout.
The Engineering team consists of Web Development, Automation, Integration, iOS, Android, Middleware, Micro Services & Data Management. The team collaborate, support and work closely with other areas within the business including DevOps, Architecture & Insight and Intelligence.
As a Lead iOS Engineer, you will be responsible for providing technical steer for team design activities and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards.
Supporting the Head of Engineering with release preparation and management for our Mobile Banking Application change and release. You will also work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- You will contribute to daily stand-ups with the Mobile Application Development team and escalate any blockers to the Lead Developer or Head of Development
- Contribute to technical design and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- You will be responsible for developing the Atom’s Mobile Banking Application using appropriate SW languages and tools
- Design and develop data models/structures , API integrations, loosely coupled code and the fundamental application framework using appropriate SW languages/tools
- You will ensure that the attack vectors are minimised and security issues are mitigated using a combination of secure development practice and additional Mobile Application security tooling
- Ensure that all developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing, secure development)
- Be responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the Middleware Dev and Test teams or any required integration provider
- You will work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
- At the discretion of the Head of Development, Technical Senior Management, or Exco, execute any other reasonable ask or task in line with technical delivery for Atom.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Significant experience in a development capacity encompassing contribution to solution design, and technical documentation production
- Development experience in an Agile development environment with CICD, of which will have encompassed significant experience with the Swift language development (min v3). You will be fully conversant with the iOS OS and Device ecosystem
- Conversant with SOLID and OOP principles and Software Design Patterns, BDD and TDD as approaches
- Experience of UX Development including responsive designs and accessibility, RESTful API integration, securing applications and secure messaging using a variety of methods including but not limited to credentials, certificates, tokens, pinning
- Experience of working closely with third parties and external systems providers
- Clear communicator both written and verbally.
What would we ideally like from you?
- App Store Provisioning, release provisioning
- JIRA / Confluence experience
- Experience of working closely with User Experience and Customer Experience teams
- Improvisation and thinking outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
- Working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience
- Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
- Experience of DevOps environments
- Experience of Android Development.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at