Senior Backend Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. So, if this appeals to you, consider joining us to deliver innovative solutions.
Want to join us?
The Atom Engineering department comprises of Front-End, Back-End, SRE, and Testing capabilities. They make up the engine room that powers the development of our app and associated services, all of which are essential for the running of a secure, resilient, and visible cloud-based bank.
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to create awesome new features for our customers and to make sure the platform is running smoothly. Our agile approach to software development allows us to release updates when they are ready and needed, rather than to a rigid schedule.
Our back-end services mainly follow a microservice CQRS pattern, and we use Golang for core microservices and Java for data services. We do use some traditional enterprise software in our back-end engineering, but this has mainly been broken down into microservices or being assessed to do so. Each one of our microservices runs on Google Kubernetes Engine(GKE), which is supported by some innovative automated pipelines developed by our award-winning DevOps/SRE team. These enable our engineers to build and deploy through the stack.
We have an opportunity for a passionate Senior Back-End Engineer to join our growing Engineering team, where you will work closely with the Back-End Engineering Lead and other teams within Engineering to continue to improve, extend and build out our back-end services and banking support platforms.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- You will manage, with the Scrum Masters, daily stand-ups with the Engineering team and escalate any blockers to the Back-End Engineering Lead
- Be responsible for providing technical steer for design and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- Develop various process solutions across business processes and systems using appropriate SW languages/tools
- Design and develop data models/structures and API contracts, data transforms & algorithms
- Ensure maintenance of all associated design and document artefacts
- You will ensure developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing etc)
- Responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the business and testing teams
- Support the Back-End Engineering Lead with Release preparation and management of change.
What do we need from you?
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience working with Python, Golang, Java, YAML, SQL & NoSQL
- A good understanding of APIs and API structures including REST APIs
- Exposure to and an understanding of a standard project lifecycle
- Strong knowledge of both monolithic & microservice frameworks
- The ability to understand business problems and think through technical solutions.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban etc)
- Knowledge of message queues, Kafka, React & Mulesoft(middleware)
- Working experience in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Knowledge of mobile application development
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tooling knowledge
- TDD/BDD Experience
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible and remote working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at