Capital Planning & IRB optimisation Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
We are looking for a Capital Planning & IRB Optimisation Manager to join our FP&A Team, to support our growth ambitions. Atom Bank has grown its balance sheet to over £3bn of assets since launching mortgages and business lending in 2016 and has ambitious plans to grow further.
The Financial Planning & Analysis function supports the business through the provision of forward-looking plans & forecasts that guide the future direction of the business and by analysing business performance to make sure agreed plans are on track. Reporting to the Senior Decision Support Manager, the role holder is responsible for maintaining and developing the bank’s capital planning and decision support models, identifying opportunities, running scenarios and recommending courses of action to help the business achieve its goals. Working closely with the commercial and risk management teams, they will work to optimise capital requirements, maximising Return on Equity (ROE) and profitability.
The Capital Planning & IRB Optimisation Manager plays a part in enhancing the bank’s stress testing capabilities, working closely with our risk and analytics functions to embed stress testing and scenario analysis into everyday decision making. In addition, the role holder will support wider FP&A activity such as long-range strategic planning, annual budgets and forecasts, ICAAP support, business case assessments, investor relations and ad-hoc business analysis.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Capital Planning & IRB Optimisation Manager in Atom bank, you will be responsible for;
- Ownership and ongoing development of the bank’s capital planning models
- Partner with teams in Risk, Finance and Treasury to make recommendations relating to capital planning and optimisation (amount, timing, sources) and the distribution of capital across group legal entities
- Partner with Risk, Finance, Analytics and Propositions to support the provision of quality and timely information and analysis to monitor business performance and capital utilisation
- Participate in complex problem solving, providing insights, and analytics to support overall capital management and business optimisation initiatives
- Support the annual ICAAP process, including modelling, analysis and recommendations to influence regulatory decisions on capital requirements and buffers
- Prepare dedicated analysis and reports for both internal and external audiences
- Communicate complex issues to Executive Team, Board and Investors clearly and effectively (written and verbal), adapting style to audience and subject matter
- General support for FP&A activities including input, as required, into strategic planning, budgets, forecasts, market & competitor analysis, business cases and other ad-hoc analysis
What do we need from you?
- Fully qualified accountant- ACA/ACCA/CIMA
- Strong academic history
- Demonstratable experience in FP&A or similar environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Excel, modelling & data handling skills
- Retail banking experience including exposure to
- to capital requirements and stress testing
- Business partnering experience, including experience of working directly alongside Risk and Analytics / Data Science functions.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Knowledge / experience of working in retail banks operating with A-IRB waivers
What you’ll get from us?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at