Group Technical Accountant
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Atom’s finance function is responsible for preparing monthly management accounts and statutory and regulatory reporting for the bank and group. The function has been growing quickly for the fast few years and within financial control we are creating a strong culture of control, working to automate processes and are creating a strong culture of teaming and coaching. Atom has been growing for the past five years, and with more exciting plans within Finance, we are looking for a Group Technical Accountant. You will be responsible for;
- Technical accounting matters (such as hedge accounting, IFRS 2 calculations) for month end and annual reporting, including updating assumptions and optimising calculations.
- Considering the accounting implications of new products and technical changes
- Group and consolidation accounting
- Support the Regulatory Reporting team for BAU and business change technical queries
This is broad and varied role within the finance team and will suit a qualified accountant with strong technical skills who is looking to develop in a growing business.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Group Technical Accountant, you will be responsible for;
- Leading and oversight of complex accounting matters as part of the month end process
- Coaching and developing trainee accountants and reviewing workpapers.
- Updating input assumptions and judgements
- Optimising and improving processes
- Accounting and regulatory treatment for new transactions and services including implementation of relevant processes (i.e. updating sub ledgers and general legers and configuring transaction rules)
- Responsibility for group reporting matters including consolidation process and intercompany eliminations.
- Assist in tax compliance (preparation of VAT and corporation tax returns, considering tax implications of new products or transactions)
- Prepare technical accounting and regulatory papers including audit committee papers and those considering the impact of new products and transactions (such as securitisation)
- Support for producing monthly management accounts and MI for the Executive Committee and the Board.
- Lead the production of the company’s statutory accounts and Pillar 3 report.
- Develop and maintain complex financial models in Microsoft Excel to support key financial close processes.
- Carry out ad hoc financial analysis as required.
What do we need from you?
- Behaves in a manner consistent with Atom’s values at all times
- Qualified accountant with strong technical skills (i.e. ACA, CIMA)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong Excel modelling skills or equivalent
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Hard-working and self-motivated
- Graduate level education or equivalent.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Strong skills in other Office applications including PowerPoint and Word or Google equivalents
- Experience in financial services or banking, a previous technical reporting role or a group finance function
- Technical regulatory experience (i.e. exposure to Basel / CRR)
- Experience in a start-up or high growth environment
- Experience automating processes or implementing system changes and upgrades.
What you’ll get from us?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at