We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot.
Want to join us?
The Head of Financial Performance leads a team of business partners whose overall role is to focus the business towards meeting and potentially exceeding its financial performance targets and provide the analytical support for line managers to do so. The Head of Financial Performance will own Atom’s planning process, drive new insights to deliver improved profitability, lead and motivate a team to deliver excellent results and support commercial and financial projects; delivering great support.
In relation to the certification regime the successful individual must:
- Assist the firm with their requirement to ensure that you remain fit and proper to perform your role
- Pay due regard to all relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- Help the bank to ensure the ongoing provision of fair customer outcomes
What will your ‘typical’ day look like? (but, no two days are the same at Atom):
The key responsibilities of the Head of Financial Performance are:
- Provide support, impetus and insight to line management in driving improvement in its financial metrics
- Own the Forecast and Budget process driving continual improvements
- Lead the team to deliver high-quality support and challenge to the Business
- Provide Commercial Analysis and Support by providing detailed understanding and analysis, key trends and market insights
- Work with the business to develop the long-term strategic plans for the area and owning the development of the related financial model
- Support key commercial and financial projects e.g. commercial negotiations with external parties, delivery of new products to market, process improvement within the team
- Develop robust business cases, tracking delivery of initiatives and associated enabler costs.
- Develop and deliver robust and insightful tools and reports to drive improvements and business optimisation
- Continually identify opportunities to drive business improvement
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
What do we need from you?
- An accounting, finance or treasury professional qualification (g ACA, CIMA, ACCA, ACT, CFA) with significant demonstrable PQE. Alternatively, an MBA may provide equivalent skills
- Demonstrable and proven Stakeholder management experience with an ability to manage and influence senior stakeholders
- Strong team player and effective leader.
- Advanced Accounting and Financial Management skills with an ability to apply financial knowledge to commercial and operational areas and explain clearly to others
- Strong modelling skills including advanced Excel
- Strong banking or relevant financial services experience including a good market understanding and familiarity with products and regulation
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills (able to tell a complex story in a compelling manner via all means of communication)
- Experience in analysing and understanding complex data and situations to recommend optimal solutions
- Relevant experience in delivering work end to end to conclusion in a planned and controlled manner
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – performance related, up to 10% of basic salary
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at