Senior Finance Business Partner
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The FP&A function supports the business through the provision of forward-looking plans & forecasts that guide the future direction of the business and by analysing business performance to make sure agreed plans are on track.
As the go-to source of high-quality financial support and advice to a range of stakeholders, the Senior Finance Business Partner drives and monitors business performance and maximises cost efficiency opportunities, as well as supporting effective financial management, best value decision making and robust control.
The Senior Finance Business Partner role is critical to providing the necessary support and advice directly to budget holders and building strong relationships with stakeholders to control the bank’s overall cost base.
- Provision of professional accounting, budgeting and wider financial stewardship advice at senior levels
- Analysis, scrutiny and provision of expert input on cost aspects of financial proposals and expenditure plans
- Supporting decision-making that promotes Atom’s strategic objective to deliver market leading cost efficiency
- Building effective relationships within the Finance team and with senior stakeholders
- Supporting and motivating junior team members, ensuring they are equipped to carry out their duties across the cost lifecycle
- Identifying, analysing and quantifying financial risks, options and opportunities.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Long term planning
- Active cost horizon scanning and quantification of potential impacts
- Cost efficiency benchmarking
- Leading the preparation of expenditure contributions to business plans.
Budgeting and forecasting
- Leading the preparation of annual expenditure budgets
- Leading the preparation of quarterly expenditure forecasts
- Analysis, scrutiny and expert financial input on cost aspects of business cases
- Preparation of Board materials related to costs
- Presentation and communication of matters related to cost to Exco.
- Prepare cost analysis for regulatory documents.
- Cost analysis
- Cost management
- Cost centre reporting
- Preparation of management accounts
- Prepare and present Change Steer Committee materials
- Communication of cost performance to budget holders
- Payroll sign-off
- Weekly expenditure forecasts.
- Providing business partnering support to budget owners.
- Answering investor questions related to the Bank’s cost base.
- Input on cost policies and procedures.
- Providing support and advice to the Automation Working Group.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Excellent communication skills that have resulted in the building of effective relationships within the Finance community and with senior stakeholders
- The ability to constructively analyse, scrutinise and challenge expenditure proposals and plans
- The ability to communicate complex finance and business matters to non-experts both orally and in written reports
- Experience of improving efficiency and/or lowering costs in an innovative or creative fashion
- Always behaves in a manner consistent with Atom’s values
- Qualified accountant
- Graduate level education
- Strong Excel modelling skills
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication and team-working capabilities
- Hard-working and self-motivated
- Graduate level education or equivalent qualification
- Qualified accountant (> 5 years PQE).
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at