Treasury ALM Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 450 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
The treasury department is responsible for balancing and managing the daily cash flow, liquidity of funds within Atom alongside interest rate risk in the banking book. The department also handles the bank’s investments in securities (HQLA portfolio), foreign exchange and cash instruments. Treasury also runs the banks securitisation programmes issuing products the markets such as RMBS.
The Treasury team work closely with FP&A, financial control, reg reporting, financial risk, propositions, project management and I&I
This role is a key support to the Head of Treasury, performing the day-to-day management of Atom’s balance sheet and the associated market and liquidity risks. This is a front office role, which requires a strong understanding of bank liquidity risk and interest rate risk management, and good knowledge of retail banking balance sheets and wholesale markets. This role will be supported by two analysts.
There will be significant scope for this role to shape the balance sheet structure of the bank as it enters a significant growth phase. The role will support the bank’s commercial decision making, and the role will evolve as the bank’s balance sheet evolves, ensuring the balance sheet is managed accordingly.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (Different that’s for sure):
As a Treasury ALM Manager at Atom bank, your responsibilities will include:
Liquidity and Funding
- Responsibility for the day-to-day liquidity management / cash management of the bank in order to meet regulatory and internal risk appetite requirements
- Development of the bank’s funding plan, including unsecured retail funding (FRS, IAS etc), secured and unsecured wholesale financing capabilities (including warehouse funding facilities). This will require close liaison with the Propositions teams
- Ensure Atom has access to all Bank of England facilities, and or other central bank facilities that may be available to it (includes ILTR, TFSME, DWF, and any other facility that might be available with the SMF from time to time)
- Treasury representative on the weekly Deposit and Mortgage Pricing Committee meetings
- Responsible for provision of weekly funding forecast data for the balance sheet forecast process, and circulation of current FTP rates
- Management of the bank’s liquid asset portfolio (HQLAs): allocation across asset classes, management of interest rate risk and relevant credit risk
- Responsibility for the weekly liquidity meeting and monitoring Liquidity Contingency Plan (“LCP”) triggers/EWIs and liaison with the Liquidity Contingency Committee as appropriate
- First line responsibility for the ILAAP process to ensure the bank maintains an appropriate level of liquidity, including maintenance of the bank’s medium-term funding plan coordination with the FPA team
- Primary contact for FP&A balance sheet planning team.
Balance sheet management / Interest Rate Risk management
- Management of market risks / balance sheet within the bank’s risk appetite
- Execution of market hedging transactions to control the market risk exposures
- Expand suite of market counterparties (OTC, repo)
- Develop external business relationships
- Ownership of key methodologies relating to market risks and Funds Transfer Pricing.
- Focus on building and improving internal relationships across the bank to provide expert input on all funding and hedging conversations
- Remain abreast of the regulatory and market developments
- Lead further implementation and integration of Treasury system upgrades (i.e. FOCUS, Quantum, Bloomberg etc)
- Support production of management information to drive accurate decision making across all levels of the business (ALCO, ExCo, Board); this will involve participation in data and systems architecture projects
- Support ICAAP process and other key processes (e.g. RRP)
- Provide cover to the Head of Treasury as required
- Support the Treasury middle and back-office functions
- Development of junior staff
- Leading strategic projects as required.
What do we need from you?
- Degree educated
- A significant level of experience, without a degree qualification, would be fine
- Experience of working within a retail bank with a sound understanding of the different products used by retail banks and their Treasuries
- 10+ years of banking related experience, with 5+ of that related to Treasury
- Track record of delivering results
- Strong market relationships
- Has exposure to a trading environment
- Commercially aware, must understand the business impact of the decisions made
- Good understanding of the current regulatory landscape
- Analytical mindset, comfortable working with numbers and can interrogate large volumes of data accurately
- Being able to deal with ad-hoc requests from other parts of the business effectively and efficiently
- Excellent team development and leadership skills
- Confident communicator, comfortable at a senior level
- Highly self-motivated and results orientated.
What would we ideally like from you?
- ACT / MCT / CFA are beneficial
- Experience of development of ILAAPs and LCPs
- Experience of the L-SREP process
- Capital markets experience (hedging, issuance etc)
- Flexibility and Agility. Able to multi-task and deliver at pace
- Post degree qualification is a benefit.
What’s in it for you?
- 4 day working week
- Flexible and hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications and career pathways
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at