Treasury Portfolio Manager
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The Treasury of a bank acts as a central hub through which its complex cash flows are managed, risks to market movements are controlled, investment decisions are made and the trajectory of the business is steered such that it meets its regulatory requirements and delivers value to investors. The Treasury is required to be a central for control and excellence. This role is a key support to the Deputy Head of Treasury, responsible for Atom’s non-organic asset portfolio activity. The role holder focusses on transactions which generate non-organic balance sheet assets to supplement Atom’s own retail and SME loan origination. The role holder brings significant credit risk expertise to the team across a broad range of asset classes.
This is a front office role, tasked with the detailed modelling required to assess the economics of Treasury capital market activity. The role holder has strong financial modelling skills across a broad range of assets. The role supports the bank’s commercial decision making and will likely evolve as the business plan develops. It will maintain a continuous focus on the optimisation of financial resource management.
The role requires a proactive individual capable of working on multiple tasks at the same time across different areas of expertise and manage multiple stakeholders across the business. The individual will also be interacting and presenting results to senior members of the Atom team.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
#Portfolio Modelling and Management Capabilities
The major responsibility of this role will be to expand Atom’s credit risk management and modelling capabilities, supporting the analysis of non-organic opportunities (e.g. flow agreements, loan participations, portfolio sales/purchases) for Atom’s balance sheet within the parameters set by the business plan and agreed by the Board.
In doing so the role holder will liaise and maintain relationships with teams across the bank. Particularly:
- Atom’s FPA team, supporting the development of a robust capital allocation process and the evolution of the bank’s business plan.
- Atom’s credit risk function who owns many of Atom’s organic lending policies, models and methodologies.
- Atom’s change management team to ensure Treasury initiatives fit appropriately within the bank’s broader change agenda.
Ongoing portfolio management
In addition to the modelling responsibilities, the role will be responsible for the implementation of a robust portfolio management framework, the output of which will inform the appropriate senior committees.
- Implementation of a robust credit risk management capability within Treasury which is appropriate for the growing portfolio of credit exposures.
- The creation of summary and detailed MI for submission to the appropriate forums
- Development of key methodologies relating to portfolio credit risk
- Provide input to major Treasury and business initiatives
- Focus on building and improving internal relationships across the bank to provide expert input on all new product development conversations
- Remain abreast of the regulatory and market developments
- Support production of management information to drive accurate decision making across all levels of the business (ALCO, ExCo, Board)
- Leading strategic projects as required
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Experience of working within a retail bank with a sound understanding of the different products used by retail banks and their Treasuries
- Significant demonstrable experience of banking related experience, specifically related to Treasury
- Track record of delivering results
- Commercially aware, must understand the business impact of the decisions made
- Good understanding of the current regulatory landscape
- Analytical mindset, comfortable working with numbers and can interrogate large volumes of data accurately
- Being able to deal with ad-hoc requests from other parts of the business effectively and efficiently
- Confident communicator, comfortable at a senior level
- Highly self-motivated and results orientated
- A good knowledge of wholesale markets is required.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Capital markets experience (hedging, issuance etc)
- Portfolio modelling experience. (e.g. Intex or other)
- Structuring experience (e.g. loan commitment facilities)
- Familiarity with securitisation technology
- Flexibility and Agility. Able to multi-task and deliver at pace
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – Performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at