Credit Risk Modeller
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
What’s it all about?
Insight and intelligence drives Atom.
The Insight & Intelligence team leverage Big Data tech, to maximise the returns from our data assets, by providing MI, exploratory analysis & predictive models. These shape & deliver strategies in pricing, direct marketing, product optimisation, credit risk & fraud. Helping Atom provide direct assistance to our customers in their day to day banking activities.
As a Credit Risk Modeller in the Data Science team at Atom, you’ll have opportunity to work with all functions within the bank, giving insight to a wide range of activities, working with external data & analytics suppliers where required. Furthermore, as the business grows, the requirements for analytics will expand significantly, providing opportunities to expand our own capabilities.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
- Developing and implementing various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms & data mining analysis including;
- Supporting regulatory and compliance initiatives within risk such as IFRS9 & IRB models and stress testing
- Credit Risk scorecards
- Simulation models to help optimise operational processes and quantify and manage operational risks
- Predictive models and analysis to drive pricing and liquidity management
- Delivering end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models to perform what-if analyses
- Monitoring & maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
- Providing peer review & challenge to analysis & models, ensuring they remain fit for purpose
- Delivering predictive models that generate significant uplift in business performance and/or provide an enhanced customer experience
- Delivering analysis to support key strategic projects
- Delivering analysis to support regular reporting requirements
- Delivering ad hoc analysis to provide key insight into business performance.
What do we need from you?
- A Degree in a numerate discipline (e.g. Maths/Statistics/Economics or similar) with a high degree of statistics or comparable qualification
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as R, Tidyverse, dplyr, Python, SQL, SAS or similar
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Good working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills - able to present analysis at all levels of the business and to non-specialists
- A self-starter with excellent time management skills.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of delivering predictive models to support application or behavioural credit risk scoring, IRB, IFRS9, scorecards, pricing and price elasticity, or product propensity models
- Data visualisation with tools such as R Shiny, Tableau, markdown, LaTeX or similar
- Knowledge of Scala programming language
- Awareness of streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka
- Delivering analysis and/or reporting in a Financial services environment,
- Experience in dealing with large data sets.
What’s in it for you?
- Remote/Hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at