Data Science Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East and around the UK. Our team currently has over 450 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams Durham and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Insight and Intelligence drives Atom.
As part of the Insight & Intelligence team you’ll play a key part in the management of Atom’s data from end to end, from sourcing and integration, right through to delivery of business reporting and predictive models.
As a Data Science Engineer you will primarily, work alongside the Data Science and Reporting teams and the Data Engineering teams while also interacting with all parts of the business.
Focusing on use of database and streaming techniques and methodologies to create an efficient, sustainable and agile platform for a data driven digital bank.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Build and maintain data ETL jobs using a range of tools
- Effective use of database and streaming techniques and methodologies to create an efficient, sustainable and agile platform
- Work on cloud based architecture to deliver robust data pipelines
- Integrate, consolidate & transmit data while maintaining Atom’s high data quality standards
- Assist with the design and integrity of data solutions delivered to the business
- Take business requirements and translate them into technical delivery
- Responsibility for maintaining robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation
- Adherence to data governance principles and standards at all time
- Work collaboratively with the Data Science, Reporting and Data Engineering team in maintaining consistent and accurate data
What do we need from you?
- Experience working with SQL, NoSQL & PostgreSQL
- Ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changing requirements
- Knowledge of Data Modelling, ETL development and Database/Data Warehousing, Structured and Unstructured data
- Aware of how data can be used to drive operational and strategic decisions
- Excellent analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Understanding and delivery of Data Governance practices Hands-on experience in design, development and deployment of data solutions and the integration of new technologies as they develop.
What would we ideally like from you?
- A Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other relevant field; or equivalent work experience
- Experience using Python or Talend
- An understanding of streaming data pipelines/applications such as Kafka
- A background in data management preferably focused on data provision for analytics, using large and complex data.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible & remote working
- 4 day working week
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at