Data Science Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams Durham and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Insight and Intelligence drives Atom.
As part of the Insight & Intelligence team you’ll play a part in the management of Atom’s data from end to end, from sourcing and integration, right through to delivery of business reporting and predictive models.
As a Data Science Engineer you will primarily, work alongside the Data Science and Reporting teams and the Data Engineering teams while also interacting with all parts of the business.
Focusing on use of database and streaming techniques and methodologies to create an efficient, sustainable and agile platform for a data driven digital bank.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Build and maintain data ETL jobs using a range of tool including PostgreSQL, Java and Kafka.
- Effective use of database and streaming techniques and methodologies to create an efficient, sustainable and agile platform
- Integrate, consolidate & transmit data while maintaining Atom’s high data quality standards
- Assist with the design and integrity of data solutions delivered to the business
- Take build requirements and translate them into workable code that meets business needs in a compliant, robust and timely manner
- Responsibility for maintaining robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation
- Adherence to data governance principles and standards at all time
- Work collaboratively with the Data Science, Reporting and Data Engineering team in maintaining consistent and accurate data
- Understand and implement Atom’s vision, strategy and principles for data management
What do we need from you?
- Hands-on experience in design, development and deployment of data solutions and the integration of new technologies as they develop
- Ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changing requirements
- Coding skills in SQL
- Knowledge of Data Modelling, ETL development and Database/Data Warehousing, Structured and Unstructured data
- A mixture of SQL and No-SQL technology experience and how these different approaches combine together
- Aware of how data can be used to drive operational and strategic decisions
- Excellent analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Understanding and delivery of Data Governance practices
What would we ideally like from you?
- A Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other relevant field; or equivalent work experience
- A background in data management preferably focused on data provision for analytics, using large and complex data
- Familiar with service support models and meeting SLA’s
- Possess a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving and strong attention to detail
- Is familiar with the software engineering life cycle for development and the concepts and practices required to implement effective information systems
- Coding skills in Java, or transferable coding skills from other languages
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at