The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Insight and Intelligence drives Atom.
The Insight and Intelligence team leverage Big Data technologies to maximise the returns from our data assets, by providing MI, exploratory analysis and predictive models which shape and deliver strategies in pricing, direct marketing, product optimisation, credit risk, fraud. In turn this helps Atom Bank demonstrate that it is meeting its regulatory requirements and providing direct assistance to customers in their day-to-day banking activities.
As a Data Scientist you’ll have the rare opportunity to work with all functions within the bank, giving insight to a wide range of activities, working with external data and analytics suppliers where required. Furthermore, as the business grows, the requirements for analytics will expand significantly, providing opportunities to expand your own capabilities.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Developing and implementing various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms and data mining analysis including:
- Supporting regulatory and compliance initiatives within risk such as IFRS9 & IRB models and stress testing
- Credit Risk scorecards
- Simulation models to help optimise operational processes and quantify and manage operational risks.
- Predictive models and analysis to drive pricing and liquidity management
- Delivering end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models to perform what-if analyses
- Monitoring and maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
- Providing peer review and challenge to analysis and models developed by other members of the team
- Delivering predictive models that generate significant uplift in business performance and/or provide an enhanced customer experience.
- Delivering analysis to support key strategic projects
- Delivering analysis to support regular reporting requirements
- Delivering ad hoc analysis to provide key insight into business performance
What do we need from you?
- A Degree in a numerate discipline (e.g. Maths/Statistics/Economics or similar) with a high degree of statistics or comparable qualification.
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as R, Tidyverse, dplyr, Python, SQL, SAS or similar
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Good working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills - able to present analysis at all levels of the business and to non-specialists
- A self-starter with excellent time management skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of delivering predictive models to support application or behavioural credit risk scoring, IRB, IFRS9, scorecards, pricing and price elasticity, or product propensity models
- Data visualisation with tools such as R Shiny, Tableau, markdown, LaTeX or similar
- Knowledge of Scala programming language
- Awareness of streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka
- Delivering analysis and/or reporting in a Financial services environment,
- Experience in dealing with large data sets
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at