Junior Data Science Engineer
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge!
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
Insight and Intelligence drives Atom. The Insight and Intelligence team leverage Big Data technologies to maximise the returns from our data assets, by providing MI, exploratory analysis and predictive models which shape and deliver strategies in pricing, direct marketing, product optimisation, credit risk, fraud; help Atom Bank demonstrate that it is meeting its regulatory requirements and providing direct assistance to customers in their day-to-day banking activities.
As a Junior Data Science Engineer at Atom, you’ll help to create and maintain an efficient, sustainable and agile data analytics platform for a data driven digital bank. You’ll work with and gain exposure to a range of database technologies, whilst also learning about and working with a combination of event driven techniques and batch processing methodologies.
You’ll receive ongoing support and guidance from your coach and the wider Insight & Intelligence team as you continue to develop your skills and knowledge base. You’ll also have the opportunity to develop skills & knowledge in cloud-based data pipelines as part of a cross-functional team.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (Different that’s for sure):
- Build and maintain data ETL jobs using a range of tool including PostgreSQL, Talend, Python and Kafka.
- Support work on cloud-based architecture to deliver robust data pipelines.
- Assist with the design and integrity of data solutions delivered to the business.
- Application of data availability, lineage, and quality to the correct deliverables.
- Maintain robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation.
- Adhere to data governance principles and standards.
- Work collaboratively with the Data Science, Reporting and Data Engineering team in maintaining consistent and accurate data.
- Continuously evaluate data processes and procedures to maintain a positive and efficient data culture within Atom.
- Participate in daily stand-ups and discussions with developers, engineering teams and project managers.
What do we need from you?
- Ideally a degree in Data Analytics or similar field
- Ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changing requirements.
- Some experience of either relational SQL or analytics databases, such as Postgres, Cassandra & BigQuery.
- Knowledge of Data Modelling, ETL development and Database/Data Warehousing, Structured and Unstructured data.
- Excellent analytical, decision m king and problem-solving skills.
- Awareness of how data can be used to drive operational and strategic decisions.
What’s in it for you?
- 4 Day Working Week
- Flexible hybrid & remote working
- Annual Share Option – Company performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days holidays + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every 2 years in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Enhanced Parental Leave
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at