Lead Data Scientist
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The Insight and Intelligence team leverage Big Data technologies to maximise the returns from our data assets, by providing MI, exploratory analysis and predictive models which shape and deliver strategies in pricing, direct marketing, product optimisation, credit risk, fraud. In turn this helps Atom Bank demonstrate that it is meeting its regulatory requirements and providing direct assistance to customers in their day-to-day banking activities.
Data Scientists turn data into insight that inform and perform business operational decisions. The role contributes to the management of Atom’s data from end to end, from sourcing and integration, right through to delivery of business reporting and predictive models.
The Lead Data Scientist will take the lead in delivery of more complex pieces of work, often coaching more junior members in the process. This will involve setting and managing stakeholder expectations and identifying the work required to meet stakeholder requirements, in the wider context of the problem at hand.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Deliver end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models to perform what-if analyses
- Monitor and maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
- Develop and implement various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms and data mining analysis to drive pricing and liquidity management
- Ensure predictive models support regulatory and compliance initiatives within risk such application scorecards, capital and impairment (according to IRB and IFRS9 standards) and stress testing
- Create simulation models to help optimise operational processes and to quantify and manage operational risks
- Deliver analysis to support key strategic project and regular reporting requirements
- Deliver ad hoc analysis to provide key insight into business performance
- Provide peer review and challenge to analysis and models developed by other members of the team
- Provide support and advice to a team of Data Scientists along with providing oversight to the data, models and reports they develop
- Support the activities of the Data Science Manager and promote shared values across the Data Science team
- Responsibility for maintaining robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation
- Adherence to data governance principles and standards at all time
- Work collaboratively with the Data Engineering team in maintaining consistent and accurate data
- Continuously evaluate data processes and procedures to maintain a positive and efficient data culture within Atom
- Collaborate and work with external data and analytics providers
What do we need from you?
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as SQL, R, Python, SAS or similar
- Good working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills - able to present analysis at all levels of the business and to non-specialists
- A self-starter with excellent time management skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Data visualisation with tools such as Tableau, Shiny
- Experience of delivering predictive models to support application or behavioural credit risk scoring, IRB, IFRS9, scorecards, pricing and price elasticity, or product propensity models
- Knowledge of Scala programming language
- Awareness of streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka
- Experience of delivering analysis and/or reporting in a Financial services environment
- Experience in dealing with large data sets
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at