Chief Operating Officer
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
Atom Customers are wholly dependent on the quality delivery of Operational Services to underpin Atom’s Brand Experience. The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is accountable for the delivery of these services, including: Customer Services, Originations, Underwriting, Fraud Management and Payment Services. This role is critical to the success of Atom.
The COO ensures Atom Operations fulfils the organisation strategy of exceptional experience and exceptional efficiency by optimising people, policy, process, and technology to deliver outstanding customer-centric outcomes. Atom’s COO is a technologically orientated, forward looking leader of transformation and people providing inspirational leadership across the organisation.
Under the terms of the Senior Managers Regime the Chief Operating Officer will assume the responsibilities that go with holding a function subject to this regime. In addition, the Chief Operating Officer will adhere to the Senior Manager Conduct Rules.
This a pivotal role within the Senior Manager’s Regime SMF 24 Function as Chief Operating Officer.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like? (but, no two days are the same at Atom):
- Developing and executing the Operational Strategy which ensures exceptional customer experience and exceptional efficiency in all customer processes and interactions
- Transformational leadership of Customer Services, Banking Operations, Originations and Underwriting teams, in the delivery of exceptional customer support and outcomes
- Driving high performance and stakeholder engagement using highly developed and sophisticated communication skills to inspire and motivate
- Ensuring market leading efficiencies through cost leadership in the optimisation of people, policy, process, and technology
- Driving straight-through processing (STP) ensuring automatic solutions are implemented effectively in the provision of all banking services without the need for manual intervention
- Operating and driving teams and individuals to work at pace whilst ensuring effectiveness and exceptional levels of service across all areas
- Ensuring all operational activities including customer support and lending originations are undertaken in line with all relevant regulatory requirements
- Ensuring optimum and cost-efficient people strategies are in place across all operational teams to be able to discharge responsibilities.
- Ensuring oversight of the arrangements in place to identify, handle and report customer complaints in line with all regulatory requirements with high levels of customer satisfaction in resolutions
- Operational management of payment services, including liaison across the various payment scheme bodies and representing Atom through Payment Council forums
- Responsibility for all fraud operations including documentation and roll out of procedures
- Ensuring highly trained and competent resources are available, deployed and monitored across the various operational disciplines
- Proactive management of Operational Risks and associated Controls Framework
- Ensuring all residential mortgage and BBSL activity is consistent and compliant with relevant regulation and quality measures
- Maintaining SME knowledge of product, criteria, STP and automation system developments to accurately deliver this knowledge internally and represent Atom’s view externally.
- Representing the bank with the regulator and other external parties; trade associations, financial press, industry events etc. in relation to residential mortgage and BBSL activity
- Lead, coach and develop team members
Corporate Culture and Values:
- Setting, adhering to and role-modelling corporate values and conduct rules
- Ensuring that there is an expectation that all business must be conducted in a legal and ethical manner
- Promoting risk awareness and the avoidance of excessive risk taking
- Communicating the values, behaviours, and standards throughout the bank
- Ensuring that employees, including senior management, are aware that appropriate disciplinary or other actions will follow unacceptable behaviours and transgressions
- Ensuring that employees are also aware of the many direct and indirect, formal, and informal ways of communicating with members of the board
- Approving the bank’s employee handbook and code of conduct
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
What do we need from you?
- Significant demonstrable leadership experience, within an operational, customer centric environment, within a regulated sector
- Demonstrable evidence of creating and leading high performing teams
- Board level influencer, with expert communication and negotiation skills.
- High energy, flourishes in fast pace, dynamic, collaborative setting
- Sophisticated use of communication skills to inspire and motivate
- Senior contact centre management experience
- Understanding and experience of IT Service and/or Solution Delivery capacity
- Demonstrable experience of managing strategic third-party relationships.
- Extensive Hands-on experience of Programme Management
- High Intellect, Commercially astute, Tenacious and Passionate
- Significant experience of building trusted relationships with third party partners.
- Educated to degree standard and may hold a post-graduate qualification from a reputable business school, or equivalent qualifications
- A record of integrity and good repute; and have sufficient time to fully carry out their responsibilities without conflict of interests
What would we like from you?
- ITIL certified
- Existing senior leadership or executive operational experience with Consumer facing regulated business.
- Entrepreneurialism, and experience of working in start-up environment
- Resilient, Can Do Attitude
- Appreciation of our values
- Start-up/Challenger Brand
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 30 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at