We’re Atom bank
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot
Want to join us?
The role of Collection & Recoveries agent is to effectively handle Residential Mortgage and Business Banking (SME Commercial) customers who are suffering from financial hardship or in arrears. Where a specialist approach to dealing with their arrears situation or possession is required, through a combination debt advice, non-standard litigation action, receivership and complex case management may be appropriate to satisfy the customer requirements and Atom’s objectives.
Key activities include:
- Managing both residential mortgage and business banking customers through the full collections’ lifecycle from predelinquency/watchlist to repossession
- Managing and interacting with customers in financial difficulties via a range of contact methods including inbound and outbound calls, email and app chat
- Using assertive and detailed fact finding to fully understand customer circumstances
- Conducting in depth income and expenditure assessments to fully understand a customer’s financial circumstances in the short, medium and long term
- Identifying the most appropriate solution for the customer from a range of short and long term forbearance options including complex solutions such as temporary interest only, term extension and assisted voluntary sale
- Identifying customers who would benefit from receiving independent debt advice, understand the benefit to the customer of this support and referring the customer to organisations appropriately
- Providing customers with a wide range of information including the impact of arrears and forbearance
- Liaising with third parties to manage cases effectively through either litigation, possession or receivership processes in order to minimise any potential loss
- Handling complex receivership, litigation or possession cases including; defended possession, deceased, vulnerable, assisted/shortfall sale, abandoned and voluntary surrender cases
- Making reasoned business decisions on the future management of cases
- Liaising with third parties and internal stakeholders to agree the most effective course of action on individual cases and providing constructive feedback on the options and advice put forward by them
- Ensure appropriate mandates are applied in decision making in relation to forbearance, litigation and recovery related activity
- Underwrite mortgages and loans currently in arrears with a view of addressing the arrears situation whilst ensuring that the long term plan to repay the mortgage is not going to cause the customer any detriment
- Ensuring that Atom meets all of its conduct risk requirements by driving positive outcomes for customers in financial difficulty or arrears.
The nature of the work will be complex, and will require a level of technical knowledge of Business lending and Residential mortgage lending. You will work with colleagues across Atom including Customer Support, Payment Ops, Banking Services and Credit Risk as well as third parties such as Field Agents, Solicitors and Receivers to ensure that Atom takes appropriate actions as outlined in our Collections and Recoveries Policies and Procedures.
Given current circumstances, there is flexibility to allow the role to be completed from home in the short term, with expectation that in future this would be a mix of both home working and office based.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- You will be responsible for completing a variety of collections tasks, demonstrating case ownership to ensure that you provide an excellent customer experience and drive appropriate outcomes
- Dealing with customers in arrears or in financial difficulty in line with MCOB guidance and Atom policy
- Working with our customers, consistently seeing their point of view and finding the best solution for everyone
- Working with third parties and suppliers such as Field Agents, Solicitors and Receivers to effectively and efficiently manage customers and limit losses
- Solving problems, trouble shooting and anything that contributes to continually improving our customer experience
- Adherence to process and procedure and ensuring compliance with regulations including MCOB
- Driving, supporting and embracing change, all with an ‘up and Atom’ approach
- Being proactive, sharing knowledge, ideas and co-creating with others at Atom to ensure that the customer receives the best experience possible and identifying opportunities to automate and be more efficient
- Being the best you by always looking for areas of self-development and improvement
What do we need from you?
- Experience of working in an arrears/collections/recoveries environment
- Ability to take ownership and manage own work through to conclusion, escalating issues as appropriate
- Knowledge of forbearance solutions essential
- Knowledge of litigation and loss mitigation methods essential
- Knowledge of debt advice and third party support desirable
- Organisation skills – and great ones at that
- On the ball, quick, and able to adapt to our busy and changing environment
- A team player
- Ethical and have high standards – need we say anything else
- Attention to detail and able to follow and adhere to process and procedures
- Deadline driven – nobody likes a late response
- Enthusiastic – can do, will do approach
- A great communicator both in speaking or writing to our customers, and your colleagues
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of both Residential mortgage and Business collections
- Experience of Business banking or residential post completion activities
- Motivated – to resolve tasks and issues and anything else we throw at you
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at