Fraud Team Leader
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Operations is the beating heart of Atom, it’s where we have the most contact with our fantastic customers and where we can ensure we’re truly offering the best possible customer service. The Operations team consists of; Originations, Customer Support, Operational Effectiveness, Payments, Fraud, Reconciliations and Customer Administration.
The Fraud team investigate referrals from a varied range of channels and systems relating to Fraud detection and prevention activities including the on-boarding of new applications and ongoing screening of existing customers relating to Mortgage, Savings and Business Lending Products and this will expand as the number of products continues to widen.
The Fraud Team Leader organises, plans and ensures accurate completion of activities in a timely and efficient manner using their considerable knowledge and expertise in Fraud and Financial Crime to ensure the team comply with internal controls and external regulations.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Fraud Team Leader, your responsibilities will include;
- Leadership of the workflow of your team on a day-to-day basis, ensuring activities are worked in a timely and efficient manner
- Providing coaching, support, upskilling and development of individuals to ensure the team has the required knowledge and skills to complete tasks effectively
- Performance management, motivation and development of team members, including 121’s and performance reviews
- Accountable for ensuring that all anti-fraud and financial crime related activities are carried out to a high standard and within agreed timescales, which will ensure service effectiveness and efficiency
- Support the development and delivery of processes and procedures, ensuring compliance with various rules and regulatory obligations and Atom’s fraud management policies and risk frameworks
- Developing an ongoing understanding of the banks risk appetite, capturing and reviewing Risk Controls and events and maintaining an understanding of how the team works referrals
- Ensuring losses are kept at a minimum, working with the team to identify and drive process change to improve the customer experience, improve controls and minimise fraud
- Updating and educating other areas of the business on fraud trends
- Completing regular quality checks to evidence accurate completion of tasks, activities, and cases in line with procedures and standards
- Provide support to fraud and financial crime related projects, providing guidance and support for testing and project teams
- Working with teams including operational effectiveness, financial crime and across the business to support the development of processes, procedures and controls to build an efficient, effective and compliant operation
- Managing monthly substantiation advice for submission to Financial Controller
- Periodic reviews of completed reconciliations, in line with the Atom finance policy.
What do we need from you?
- Expertise and knowledge in fraud monitoring and rules to support fraud and financial crime trends in a customer driven environment within financial services
- High ethics and standards
- A passion and enthusiasm for fraud detection and fraud prevention
- Proven and demonstrable experience in a leadership role
- Flexible, adaptable, ability to respond to change
- People management capabilities including development and performance management
- A strong and tactful communication skills
- Passionate about delivering high standards
- Stakeholder management
- Highly self-motivated
- Great organizational skills
- Support and embrace change
- Negotiate effectively and manage difficult situations
What’s in it for you?
- 4 day working week
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at