We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Want to join us?
Atom is the UK’s first bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Experience means everything to us at Atom. The People Experience team work hard to ensure that our past, present and potential employees have an inspiring, challenging and fulfilling working experience. The People Experience team is made up of Recruitment, Human Resources and Learning. Together they design, develop and deliver an employee journey that represents Atom’s and its strong values throughout.
The Internal Communications Officer has a deep understanding of the organisation and its people to ensure that communications are developed and shared on the topics that are most important in Atom and in creating a high-performance culture. The role is essential in ensuring everyone at Atom understands the strategy, vision, mission and values and are connected, motivated and engaged through interactive communications and knowledge sharing.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
Work collaboratively with the Learning team to ensure Atom employees have timely access to the information they need to carry out their jobs efficiently and effectively including:
- Strategy, vision and values
- Governance, organisation structure and people
- Organisational initiatives and projects
Channels and content creation
- Manage all Atom internal communication channels including internal magazines, regular email bulletins, screens, virtual collaboration channels such as Google Meet and Microsoft Teams, intranet, noticeboards, social media channels as well as fully utilising the physical working environment as well as any other channels which are developed
- Data analysis and use of Internal Communications MI to shape and target communications for maximum coverage, effect and engagement across all communication channels
- Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums, such
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent and accurate across all mediums and appropriate for audiences across the organisation
- Ensure internal communication content is aligned with external communications in both message and tone
- Contribute to the internal communication responses to crisis situations which affect organisational perception and reputation
- Ensure full engagement across all employee populations in planning and co-ordinating inclusive Atom wide internal communication and engagement events using a range of channels
- Logistics management of events including physical or remote set up considering health and safety, technology, recording and archiving
- Support and advise stakeholders in managing their own communications events within the business
Culture and Engagement
- Work collaboratively with Learning in encouraging a sense of Atom’s identity and belonging with employees through communication, learning and Atom Social planning and channels
- Develop and manage the Atom Social calendar
- Co-ordinate the Princes’ Trust World of Work and Placement programme using Atom Mentors to facilitate both activities
Data and Stakeholder management
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in the organisation in producing effective and targeted Internal Communications strategies
- Produce detailed MI, demonstrating the engagement around and overall impact of all communications and events.
- Implement continuous improvement, acting on feedback and MI to adjust content and approach of future communications and events accordingly
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Marketing, Human Resources or Business-related degree or equivalent Internal Communications qualification or previous experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication at all levels
- Clearly articulate complex issues and concepts
- Manage competing and conflicting priorities
- Adapt messages for different audiences
- Attention to detail
- Relationship management at all levels
- Stakeholder management and expectations
What would we ideally like from you?
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 and Google Suite/Workspace
- Experience of working with internal communications platforms or intranets
- Creativity and imagination
- Experience of event management
- Experience of using social media to reach large audiences
- Experience of producing a range of multi-media assets including video and images
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at