The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 460 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
Our Lending Specialists work as part of the Lending Team and are responsible for processing lending applications, for residential mortgage and commercial lending products and for both new and existing customers, from initial application submission right through to completion.
We want to make sure we’re offering our customers a first-class service by getting it right the first time, therefore the Lending Specialist’s main responsibilities will be to ensure that all information received in support of an application is accurately assessed within designated SLAs, the customer and other stakeholders are kept well informed and the system is updated to reflect action taken.
The Lending Specialists’ deal with queries from Atom-selected mortgage and commercial finance intermediaries, property valuers and our legal conveyancers, and therefore need to be able to communicate effectively with all types of people, across a variety of channels (email, telephone, live chat and social media).
Sometimes the messages the Lending Specialists need to deliver might not be the news that applicants were hoping for, so the ability to be empathetic and professional is essential, whilst also making sure that sensitive and confidential data is managed appropriately at all times.
To get off to the right start in this role, we expect Lending Specialists to have a good working knowledge of the end to end lending application life cycles, from application to decisioning right through to completion, general servicing and post completion activities, ideally for both residential mortgage and commercial loans.
It’s important that our Lending Specialists are proactive, as we will expect the successful applicant to quickly get up to speed with our lending policies, procedures, products and systems. Don’t worry though, we’ll provide plenty of training and support to make sure you’ll have all of the knowledge and skills required to do a great job!
The Lending Team work closely together and are comfortable bouncing ideas or queries off one another, so we’d love you to have the confidence to make your mark and collaborate with others. After all, we’re here to change the future of banking for good so we’ll depend on our Lending Specialists to identify ways we can improve our processes, enhance automation (especially in decisioning), maximise broker and customer experience, improve controls and increase output.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Delivering excellent service by processing both residential mortgage and commercial lending applications from submission through to completion accurately and within agreed SLAs
- Effectively communicating with customers, intermediaries, stakeholders and 3rd parties to deliver clear and concise updates
- Making sure every interaction is as proactive and positive as possible, ensuring all interested parties are kept up to date at every step of the process
- Using initiative to make decisions within your delegated authority and making recommendations to the appropriate person(s) where decisions fall outside of your authority
- Identifying and reporting any suspicious activity or concerns with the validity of information or documentation provided as part of the application process
- Ensuring accuracy and efficiency when reviewing applications and supporting documents and when keying information onto the lending systems
- Building great relationships with Atom’s Underwriting, Business Development, Customer Sservice and other teams, who you’ll work with really closely
- Being proactive, sharing knowledge, ideas and co-creating with others.
What do we need from you?
- A good understanding of loan application processes (mortgage and/or commercial)
- Document assessment capability – covering income verification, ID and other application related documents
- Experience working in a fast paced, service focused and customer centric environment
- A great communicator – we interact with our customers, intermediaries and suppliers across a range of channels so your verbal and written communication skills need to be on point
- Quality focused - with a strong attention to detail & ability to take a methodical approach so that everything you are processing is of high quality
- Organised – ability to manage conflicting and demanding clients and priorities we need to make sure we meet our service levels.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience operating within a lending environment, covering a variety of sectors and lending types
- Strong IT skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Appropriate professional qualifications; CeMAP, ACIB, Diploma in Business Banking or equivalents.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible & hybrid working
- 4 day working week
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at