The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Operations is the beating heart of Atom. It’s where we have the most contact with our fantastic customers and where we can ensure we’re truly offering the best possible customer service. The Operations team consists of; Originations, Underwriting, Customer Support, Operational Effectiveness, Payments, Fraud, Reconciliations, Customer Administration, Customer Care and Financial Care.
As the Originations Manager, your number one responsibility is to deliver outstanding performance against a range of SLAs and KPIs by recruiting and developing an energised, empowered and capable Lending Originations team.
You will coach and develop your team to make sure they have the tools and skills needed to translate lending applications into accurate, compliant and responsible lending offers as seamlessly and as quickly as possible in a fast paced and everchanging environment. You’ll recognise diversity and know how to get the best out of each and every individual in your team, depending on their learning style and individual needs.
Your team will interact with key partners (such as intermediaries, property valuers and legal conveyancers) and internal stakeholders across a variety of channels (email, telephone, live chat and social media) so your ability to manage workflow and communications across a number of systems is really key.
At Atom, we’re here to change the future of banking, for good so you will also be responsible for continually identifying ways we can maximise our customers’ experience, improve controls and increase output.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As an Originations Manager, your responsibilities will include;
- Effective leadership of an Originations team
- Recruit, train and develop colleagues within the team to build capability
- Ensuring all KPIs and SLAs are achieved
- Manage workflows to optimise use of resource and pro-actively respond to changes in customer demand
- Ensure team members are fully engaged and up to date with Originations team and wider Atom issues through delivering team communications, holding regular team meetings and other activities.
- Ensure that the team comply with internal controls and external regulations
- Continual monitoring and review of team performance in line with quality assurance procedures
- Proactive management of performance, ensuring any and all individual or team issues are addressed quickly and effectively, ensuring all relevant HR policies are observed and adhered to
- Ongoing coaching and development of team; including sideways development, progression and succession planning
- Compile daily and monthly reports
- Take decisions within the limits of established policies and procedures
- Act under Atom Bank Power of Attorney for the execution and removal of legal documents
- Respond to escalated internal and/or external enquiries, working with stakeholders to establish the most appropriate solution available
What do we need from you?
- Proven ability to lead a team to success in a regulated, financial services environment
- Proven ability to manage team performance
- Proven monitoring, feedback and coaching skills with a track record of improving standards
- Awareness of and experience in applying HR policies (e.g. grievance, sickness, consequence management)
- Flexible, adaptable and able to respond to change
- Passionate about delivering service excellence
- Ability to problem solve and provide solutions
- Self-motivated with strong planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communication, training and presentation skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Good working knowledge of Business Banking and Residential Mortgage lending processes
- Experience of working in Banking/Financial Services
- Initiative, self-motivation and discipline
What you’ll get from us?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at