We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
Operations is the beating heart of Atom, It’s where we have the most contact with our fantastic customers and where we can ensure we’re truly offering the best possible customer service. The Operations team consists of Originations, Customer Support, Operational Effectiveness, Payments, Fraud, Reconciliations and Customer Administration.
The Payments Agent works to handle the inputting, processing, and monitoring of payments in and out of Atom across the product range for Savings, Residential Mortgages and Business lending, escalating and resolving exceptions through to resolution.
This includes processing mortgage related payment activity including applying redemption funds, processing overpayments, and applying unpaid and amended direct debits. Processing, investigating, and resolving Savings Account payment exceptions, disputes, and escalations.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
As a payments agent your responsibilities will include:
- Processing payment scheme exceptions including: BACS, CHAPS and Faster Payments.
- Investigating and resolving customer queries relating to payments efficiently and to meet relevant SLA’s
- Ensuring all transactions have been processed on a daily basis
- Working with internal stakeholders from across the business to resolve payment actions
- Developing expertise and knowledge on payment processes and procedures
- Supporting & embracing change with a positive ‘can do’ approach
- Proactively contribute to the success of the team by sharing knowledge and ideas
- Taking ownership and always look for areas of improvement and self-development
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Flexible, Adaptable and Enthusiastic
- Knowledge of payments schemes
- Strong numerical/reconciliation skills
- Payment Inputting experience
- Able to prioritise and perform a variety of administrative tasks
- Ability to relay complex/technical information back to customers and team members
- A proven ability to adapt to a fast paced and continually changing environment
- Knowledgeable of customer’s needs and expectations
- Motivated by teamwork and resolving tasks and issues
- Thinks through consequences of actions and can present clear rationale for decision making
- Ability to work towards targets and deadlines
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
What would we ideally like from you?
- Knowledge of payment regulations
- Experience of PSW, and BACS including ADDACS, AWACS
- Interest in Payment technologies
- Knowledge of AML and KYC regulations
- Working within a financial services environment
- Ability to analyse information, and make informed judgements
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at