Process Improvement Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
Operations is the beating heart of Atom. It’s where we have the most contact with our fantastic customers and where we can ensure we’re truly offering the best possible customer service. The Operations team consists of; Originations, Underwriting, Customer Support, Operational Effectiveness, Payments, Fraud, Reconciliations, Customer Administration, Customer Care and Financial Care. As part of the Operational Effectiveness team, you will lead a team of Process Improvement Analysts with the aim of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of Atom’s operational areas. You will ensure the team is supported in their day to day work, as well as coaching and developing them to become the best they can be.
You will improve efficiency by identifying and taking process improvement initiatives through a cycle of challenge in order to identify and document a suitable path to delivery. Your analytical skills and SME knowledge will be used to identify efficiency opportunities, influencing priorities and keeping stakeholders informed throughout the improvement journey.
You will ensure that Atom’s operational procedures are appropriately signed off and housed in an accessible and user-friendly library. Communication to the wider operational areas is essential, updating them on new procedures as well as any revisions to existing. As part of your role, you will ensure that all procedures go through the required sign off process, encouraging stakeholders to adhere to agreed timescales. You will seek to gain feedback from across the operational areas, sharing this feedback with the Operational Effectiveness team.
You will liaise with various stakeholders across Operations to ensure that Atom’s knowledge management system is being utilised as well as seeking feedback on its performance and potential improvements. Ensuring that the information housed within the knowledge management system is accurate and reflects the most recent information available.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Process Improvement Manager at Atom bank, your responsibilities will include;
- Line management responsibility of Process Improvement Analysts and Technical Data Administrators.
- Manage and prioritise the team’s workload, ensuring that resource pinch points are understood and communicated.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders in Operations, Technology, Personal Banking, Business Banking (and other departments as required) to facilitate the continuous improvement within Operations.
- Support the capture of as-is and design of to-be processes with RACI, measures and insights to support the deployment of operational capabilities
- Lead and control process improvement initiatives that underpin business performance, through robust design of processes, controls and procedures to gain sign-off
- Support the identification and delivery of opportunities for improvement of business capability as part of a transformation programme (including both strategic and tactical hotfixes)
- Contribute to ongoing development of the process improvement skills in the team and throughout Operations, embedding a culture of continuous improvement
- Ensuring that any change (and knowledge) is communicated with the wider Operational area, including but not limited to the end user.
- Represent Operations as an SME in business change initiatives.
- Ensure that our knowledge management system reflects the current procedures/processes within the business.
- Ensure that procedures used within the operational areas are signed off and any changes in procedures are communicated and understood within the impacted operational area(s).
- Ensure that regular reviews of procedures are undertaken, and any amendments following this review are made and communicated.
- Encourage the use of Atom’s Knowledge Management system throughout Operations, working with stakeholders to better understand reasons for none usage and potential improvements that can be made.
- Ensure new and revised procedures go through the required sign off process before being used within the Operation.
- Ensure that the procedural library is up to date and user friendly.
- Conduct regular reviews on the accuracy of procedures and make amendments as required.
- Ensure consistency in output regarding procedures.
What do we need from you?
- Financial services experience
- Excellent stakeholder management
- Customer focus
- Demonstrable experience in management information production and understanding.
- Demonstrable experience in process design and process improvement.
- Ability to make objective decisions around the prioritisation of the workstack for the wider team.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Six Sigma (or equivalent) qualified
- LEAN methodology experience
- Experience of working in an Agile environment
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at