The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 450 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic, and self-aware people to join our team to help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
The Underwriting team assesses residential mortgage and business banking secured loan applications, ensuring we are approving lending that sits within our policy guidelines and risk appetite, all the while offering open communication with our customers to provide the smoothest customer journey possible.
Underwriters work as part of the Underwriting team and are ultimately expected to support all forms of underwriting across retail and business banking (including but not limited to residential mortgages, portfolio buy to lets, commercial property investment and trading business lending).
Underwriters are responsible for reviewing and underwriting new lending applications, further advances, account reviews and loan modifications in line with Atom lending criteria, procedures and controls, delivering balanced lending decisions in line with your mandated authority. They are a strong communicator, able to interact effectively both face to face, and via a range of digital channels (e.g. phone, email, live chat) with a variety of stakeholders; from brokers, to customers, valuers, conveyancers and all levels of internal stakeholders.
In line with development as an Underwriter within Atom bank, your lending mandate and reward can progress to cover all types of lending (aligned to business need), and so a desire to keep learning is really important. Our current vacancy requires someone with a strong background in business lending – either as an underwriter or credit manager, or as a relationship manager/director for commercial loans
At Atom, we’re here to change the future of banking for good so we’ll also depend on you to identify ways we can improve our processes, enhance automation (especially in decisioning), maximise broker and customer experience, improve controls and increase output.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (Different that’s for sure):
As an Underwriter at Atom bank, your responsibilities will include;
- Underwrite retail, commercial and buy to let (single and portfolio) lending applications, further advances, Account reviews and loan modifications in line with Atom’s lending policy, ensuring the principles of conduct risk, TCF, responsible lending and all relevant regulatory principles (e.g. MCOB, MCD, KYC, KYB, AML) are observed, detailed affordability assessments are complete and the principles of credit assessment models (e.g. CCC, CAMPARI) are applied.
- Operate within own personal lending mandate(s) and refer over mandate cases to appropriate mandate holders, or present to Credit Committee as required
- Ensure that all correspondence, including identification, income documents, references and valuations, are in line with lending policy and provide enough evidence to satisfy KYC, KYB and AML requirements
- Ensure that all applications are complete, with accurate data input to ensure automated decisioning and record keeping is correct. Full rationale for your lending decision must also documented on the lending system
- Manage own caseload, handle underwriting queries and resolve issues on individual cases ensuring effective and timely processing in line with the relevant lending policy, procedures and service level expectations.
- Ensure personal and team KPIs are met (including decision quality, customer satisfaction, regulatory compliance and continuous improvement).
- Act fairly, reasonably and with integrity in all dealings with customers, intermediaries, Valuers and related 3rd parties (including Valuers and conveyancers).
- Communicate positively, proactively and effectively with customers, intermediaries and related 3rd parties to gather information to make appropriate decisions, explain rationale behind lending decisions and ensure that productive working relationships are maintained.
- Work effectively with colleagues from within the underwriting, risk, mortgages and other associated team ensuring that the working relationships improve credit quality and minimise decision appeals (getting it right first time).
- Identify potential improvements to underwriting systems, policies, criteria and processes
- Remain up to date with knowledge by reading professional publications, participating in professional organisations and maintaining personal networks
- Management of own performance; and demonstrate proactivity in identifying and closing skills/ knowledge gaps
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all systems and procedures within the department to provide guidance and improve / update to ensure they are fit for purpose at all times.
- Undertake ad hoc work as directed by line manager from time to time
What do we need from you?
- Educated to at least GCSE level, including Maths and English (essential)
- Higher education qualifications (desirable)
- Appropriate professional qualifications (e.g. Diploma in Business and Commercial Banking and Conduct, CeMAP) (desirable)
- Considerable experience in commercial lending
- Strong experience in (at least one of) prime residential mortgage lending, buy to let, commercial property lending, trading business lending
- Held a commercial or residential lending mandate with experience in seeking delegated authority to approve for applications where outside lending policy
- Able to demonstrate a strong and consistent track record of adherence to quality metrics in current role (e.g. QC benchmark met for a minimum of last 12m)
- Demonstrates a full understanding of the principles of Responsible Lending, Conduct Risk, TCF and FCA thematic reviews
- Has a detailed understanding of KYC, KYB, AML and compliance related rules and regulations, mortgage fraud and the measures/systems in place to avoid It
- Holds a good understanding of the intermediated lending market, related FCA permissions and the principles of Responsible Lending, TCF and FCA thematic reviews
- Is familiar with credit bureau data and its interpretation
- Is familiar with, and able to apply, relevant lending law and practice.
- Demonstrates Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Is a go-getter - proactive, hardworking, flexible, and able to work under own initiative
- Confident, assertive, and pragmatic approach with ability to exercise judgement and discretion where appropriate
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast paced and customer centric environment
What would we ideally like from you?
- Prior experience/knowledge of underwriting unsecured lending
- Prior experience/knowledge of commercial underwriting
- Flexible and agile with ability to multitask
- Higher education qualifications
- Appropriate professional qualifications
What’s in it for you?
- Hybrid and flexible working
- 4 day working week
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more) -‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at