Atom is a digital bank, with a decision engine led, automation focused underwriting function. As an underwriter you will work as part of the Underwriting team and will ultimately be expected to support all forms of underwriting across retail and business banking (including but not limited to residential mortgages, portfolio buy to lets, commercial property investment and trading business lending).
You will be responsible for reviewing and underwriting new lending applications, further advances and loan modifications in line with Atom lending criteria, procedures and controls, delivering balanced lending decisions in line with your mandated authority. You’ll be a strong communicator, able to interact effectively both face to face, and via a range of digital channels (e.g. phone, email, live chat) with a variety of stakeholder; from brokers, to customers, valuers, conveyancers and all levels of internal stakeholders.
Don’t worry if you don’t have experience in all disciplines, as your development, lending mandate and reward can progress to cover all types of lending (aligned to business need), and so a desire to keep learning is really important. Our current vacancy requires someone with a strong background in business lending – either as an underwriter or credit manager, or as a relationship manager/director for commercial loans.
At Atom, we’re here to change the future of banking for good so we’ll also depend on you to identify ways we can improve our processes, enhance automation (especially in decisioning), maximise broker and customer experience, improve controls and increase output.
- Underwrite retail, commercial and buy to let (single and portfolio) lending applications, further advances and loan modifications in line with Atom’s lending policy, ensuring the principles of conduct risk, TCF, responsible lending and all relevant regulatory principles (e.g. MCOB, MCD, KYC, KYB, AML) are observed, detailed affordability assessments are complete and the principles of credit assessment models (e.g. CCC, CAMPARI) are applied.
- Operate within own personal lending mandate(s) and refer over mandate cases to appropriate mandate holders, or present to Credit Committee as required
- Ensure that all correspondence, including identification, income documents, references and valuations, are in line with lending policy and provide enough evidence to satisfy KYC, KYB and AML requirements
- Ensure that all applications are complete, with accurate data input to ensure automated decisioning and record keeping is correct. Full rationale for your lending decision must also be documented on the lending system
- Manage own caseload, handle underwriting queries and resolve issues on individual cases ensuring effective and timely processing in line with the relevant lending policy, procedures and service level expectations.
- Ensure personal and team KPIs are met (including decision quality, customer satisfaction, regulatory compliance and continuous improvement).
- Act fairly, reasonably and with integrity in all dealings with customers, intermediaries, Valuers and related 3rd parties (including Valuers and conveyancers).
- Communicate positively, proactively and effectively with customers, intermediaries and related 3rd parties to gather information to make appropriate decisions, explain rationale behind lending decisions and ensure that productive working relationships are maintained.
- Work effectively with colleagues from within the underwriting, risk, mortgages and other associated team ensuring that the working relationships improve credit quality and minimise decision appeals (getting it right first time).
- Identify potential improvements to underwriting systems, policies, criteria and processes
- Remain up to date with knowledge by reading professional publications, participating in professional organisations and maintaining personal networks
- Management of own performance; and demonstrate proactivity in identifying and closing skills/ knowledge gaps
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all systems and procedures within the department to provide guidance and improve / update to ensure they are fit for purpose at all times.
- Undertake ad hoc work as directed by line manager from time to time
- Educated to at least GCSE level, including Maths and English (essential)
- Higher education qualifications (desirable)
- Appropriate professional qualifications (e.g. Diploma in Business and Commercial Banking and Conduct, CeMAP)
Key Performance Indicators
- Satisfactory file review results from oversight of underwriting activity ensuring compliance with regulation, responsible lending policy, mandates and TCF principles
- Personal underwriting losses kept within bank’s risk appetite
- Volume/nature of complaints kept within acceptable levels
- Up to date training record for completion of mandatory training
Service level delivery:
- Achieve agreed SLAs including metrics relating to decision / task turnaround time, first point of contact resolution and productivity
- Achieve agreed targets including metrics related to process enhancement and cost efficiency
- Considerable experience in commercial lending
- Strong experience in (at least one of) prime residential mortgage lending, buy to let, commercial property lending, trading business lending
- Held a commercial or residential lending mandate with delegated authority to approve outside lending policy applications
- Able to demonstrate a strong and consistent track record of adherence to quality metrics in current role (e.g. QC benchmark met for a minimum of last 12m)
- Demonstrates a full understanding of the principles of Responsible Lending, Conduct Risk, TCF and FCA thematic reviews
- Has a detailed understanding of KYC, KYB, AML and compliance related rules and regulations, mortgage fraud and the measures/systems in place to avoid it
- Holds a good understanding of the intermediated lending market, related FCA permissions and the principles of Responsible Lending, TCF and FCA thematic reviews
- Is familiar with credit bureau data and its interpretation
- Is familiar with, and able to apply, relevant lending law and practice.
- Demonstrates Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Is a go-getter - proactive, hardworking, flexible and able to work under own initiative
- Confident, assertive and pragmatic approach with ability to exercise judgement and discretion where appropriate
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast paced and customer centric environment
- Prior experience/knowledge of underwriting unsecured lending
- Prior experience/knowledge of commercial underwriting
- Flexible and agile with ability to multitask
- Higher education qualifications
- Appropriate professional qualifications
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at