Payments Industry and Services Manager
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The Customer department is made up of Marketing, Insight & intelligence, Propositions & Design. It’s the team that ensures all of our decisions are driven by our customers and insight. The role of the department is to shape the products we create with data and insight, build the most customer-centric experience there is, and create the Atom brand by promoting our key messages with attitude, confidence and intelligence.
The Payments Industry & Services Manager role holder supports the Head of Payments in developing Atom Bank’s Payments & Overlay Service strategy and associated roadmap, ensuring it is delivered through a roadmap of change and working collaboratively with people across Atom’s technology, operational, risk, compliance, legal, treasury & procurement teams. This encompasses all aspects of strategy, including innovation, partners, technologies, and schemes.
The role holder represents Atom in industry forums and directly liaises with payments, overlay service and card scheme providers as well as trade associations and government to champion Atom’s customer needs whilst supporting the business objectives. In addition, the Payments Industry & Services Manager provides support and management of relevant payments related regulation activities. The role holder brings industry change initiatives across the Payments & Overlay Service sector, back into the business enabling Atom to continue to offer market leading products & services.
Core to the role is to continue to maintain and improve the quality of Atom Payments & Overlay services and to mitigate risks associated with compliance, regulation, customer, financial and reputation. To ensure this, the role holder is responsible for managing control environments, working with functions across Atom and will lead internal audit review activity on behalf of the business acting as the 1st Line of Defence.
On a day-to-day basis, the role holder oversees Atom’s Payments & Overlay services, ensuring that SLAs are met, provide SME input into deliveries & internal initiatives and, where necessary, get directly involved in any incidents.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Providing input to the development and maintenance of the payment & overlay service strategy
- Acting as the first/second line of contact for Payment/Overlay Service (FPS, CoP, RtP, PAYM, Bacs, CHAPS/Swift, Cheque/Credit Clearing) including new registrations and membership/committee representation
- Liaising/Attending with Regulatory related forums and Industry bodies (Payments UK, UK Cards Association etc.) and manage new rules/scheme releases accordingly
- Developing and managing Card providers
- Having operational oversight of payment schemes & Overlay Services, including intra-bank issue resolution
- Attending appropriate Atom Governance meetings, representing Payments Strategy, Change and Operational management
- Manage Atom’s Payments & Overlay Service risk & controls including 1LOD management of Audit activity
- Hands-on engagement and management of Third-party payment partners.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Significant demonstrable experience in Payments
- Demonstrable experience in working with Payment Schemes and Overlay Services within the UK
- Managing multiple partners and suppliers
- Broad range and understanding of delivery of diverse payments & overlay services technical capabilities
- Enterprise Risk & Control Management
- Experience of Incident Management
- Project Management
- Commercial Acumen
- Excellent Communication skills, with evidence of operating at Board level (influence, negotiation and diplomacy).
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of working with a start-up
- Partner / supplier selection
- Strategy Formation
- Resilience, Can Do
- High energy, flourishes in fast pace, dynamic environments
- Customer Centricity
- Collaborative working style.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus – (up to 25% of basic salary) - Performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at