Payroll, Benefits & Reward Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and help us continue to innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Want to join us?
The People Experience team work hard to ensure that our past, present, and potential employees have an inspiring and memorable experience. The People Experience team is made up of Talent Acquisition, People, and Learning. Together they design, develop, and deliver an employee journey that represents Atom and its strong values throughout.
As Payroll, Benefits and Reward Manager at Atom you’ll be responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of payroll and benefits administration working with an outsourced payroll bureau and third-party suppliers on the delivery of an effective, accurate and timely service to employees and the company.
Working closely with internal stakeholders and external partners you’ll plan and coordinate Atom’s compensation plans, pay structures and benefit packages reviewing and update existing benefits and compensation-related policies ensuring these comply with current legislation and regulation. You’ll work closely with the Head of People Operations and Chief People Officer in this is key role, in managing the organisational approach to pay and reward.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Manage end to end payroll services
- Ensure that all processes are properly actioned and are compliant and in line with company policy and PAYE legislation
- Manage external stakeholders in ensuring correct payments are made and appropriate information is provided to third parties such as HMRC and other statutory bodies
- Manage and administrate all employee benefits, including the group company pension
- Carry out regular internal research and market reviews aligning Atom’s benefits packages to the strategic goals of the organisation
- Manage the administration of all employee share schemes including annual awards maintaining
- Responsible for the annual updates of share scheme rules, documentation, and communication to employees
- Issue annual employee awards
- Carry out annual benchmarking exercises for all employee salaries ensuring alignment to the reward policy and Atom defined budget making recommendations as required
- Work closely with the People Business Partners in aligning compensation to progression through the development and maintenance of pay progression structures
- Monitor inflation related market information providing recommendations on cost-of-living increases
What do we need from you?
- Demonstrable experience of managing payroll services working in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of people compliance and regulation
- Demonstrable experience in benchmarking across a multitude of sectors
- Ability to produce MI confidently using this is reporting
- Advanced Microsoft Office/G Suite skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Excellent communicator (both written and verbal)
- Strong stakeholder management skills with the ability to give constructive feedback
- Excellent attention to detail
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Knowledge of Financial Services pay and reward regulations
- Experience in reward strategy and implementation
- Experience of working within a high growth business
- Experience of working in a small team
- Ability to challenge conventional approaches and a willingness to build a unique approach
What you’ll get from us:
- 4 Day Week
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at