Credit Risk Analyst
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The Credit Risk team is responsible for credit risk management across the entire customer journey. The Credit Risk Analyst is responsible for supporting the ongoing review of credit policy across all business lending products.
They are responsible for the reporting and the analysis of lending product performance and will use insight from this analysis to develop proposals to adjust lending strategy to maximise the profitability of the lending portfolio. They work with the Decision Systems team to deliver and manage automated decision systems to provide efficient and cost-effective account opening and customer management across Atom’s product range ensuring that Atom policies can be effectively applied with minimal levels of manual intervention.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
The key responsibilities of the Credit Risk Analyst involve:
- Supporting the development of new business credit risk policies including credit scoring and serviceability decisions to support Atom’s business lending growth agenda whilst maintaining control of credit quality and performance
- Performing regular, comprehensive credit reporting and investigative analysis on new business and portfolio performance and identify improvements to policies and procedures.
- Researching and investigating trends and issues affecting the performance of SME businesses and the provision of financial products to these businesses.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of credit risk MI to ensure the effective and ongoing monitoring of all credit risk strategies
- Ensuring that all credit data and credit models are thoroughly and accurately documented and tested.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of champion/challenger tests to progressively refine lending strategies.
- Performing regular quality assurance of underwriting and account management.
- Undertaking ad hoc work as directed by line manager from time to time
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- An understanding of data systems and infrastructures
- Programming, database extraction and reporting experience
- Strong data interpretation/interrogation skills, including data manipulation and analysis techniques, to create meaningful insight
- Proficient user of SAS, R or similar
- Strong MS Office skills, in particular MS Excel
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Build effective working relationships with stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail
- Proactive, hardworking, flexible and able to work under own initiative
- Highly numerate, preferably backed by a strong quantitative degree, ideally from a mathematics, statistics, operational research, economics, finance or related subject
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience in credit risk management in financial services particularly with a focus on business lending products.
- Experience of building scorecards, decision trees and related statistical models.
- Knowledge of analysis of financial statements including key ratio assessment.
- Understanding to the use of commercial credit bureau data.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at