Internal Audit Apprentice
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 500 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The Internal Audit function provides independent assurance that Atom’s risk management, governance and internal control processes are operating effectively. You’ll be responsible for supporting the Head of Internal Audit, Internal Audit Manager, Senior Internal Auditor and Technology Internal Auditor (the ‘in-house’ team) in delivering internal audit activities. This will include risk-based planning, scoping, and executing end to end internal audits, follow-up management of audit activity, whilst working alongside the in-house team and/or the appointed internal audit partners to deliver these activities.
Reporting into the Internal Audit Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to study a Level 4 Internal Audit Practitioner Apprenticeship alongside a permanent role in the Atom Internal Audit team. You’ll receive a dedicated training plan, day release study with Kaplan, ongoing support from your coach and peers in Internal Audit as well as a mentor from another business area.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (Different that’s for sure):
- Supporting the in-house Internal Audit team and co-sourced internal audit partners with planning, scoping, execution and reporting of audits including follow up management.
- Determine scope of reviews in conjunction with the audit leads.
- Reviewing the suitability of internal control design.
- Assessing the effectiveness of the implementation and operation of internal controls.
- Determine compliance with policies and procedures.
- Delivery of quality audit work in line with the Internal Audit methodology and budget.
- Identifying reportable issues and prevalence of risk, based on testing.
- Promote the continuous improvement of risk management and control processes across Atom Bank through the development of ongoing relationships with other team members and teams, ensuring that issues are escalated as appropriate and resolved and through ad hoc support to help them enhance and embed a better control environment.
What do we need from you?
- GCSEs – Grade A in English Language and Mathematics
- Two A-Levels/equivalent or suitable work based experience
- A good understanding of Financial Services
- Excellent people skills – able to influence key stakeholders across the business
- An understanding of the work of an Internal Audit function
What’s in it for you?
- 4 Day Working Week
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every 2 years in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at