Operational Risk & Resilience Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
The risk team is in the second line of defence and is responsible for the oversight of risk management across the entire business. The Operational Risk and Resilience Manager will assist the Head of Operational Risk in the delivery of the Operational Risk Framework. The role will have specific focus upon operational resilience and outsourcing, providing second line support and challenge to business areas. This will focus upon:
- Governance and Oversight arrangements
- Policies and procedures
- Management information and reporting
- Second line assurance activities
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
Reporting to the Head of Operational Risk, the Operational Risk and Resilience Manager will:
- Provide second line oversight to the operational resilience and outsourcing arrangements in place within the business, providing support, guidance and challenge.
- Plan and deliver the operational resilience and outsourcing assurance review plan, preparing management information and reporting to senior management and Board.
- Engage with business areas in relation to current and emerging operational resilience regulation, ensuring it is applied robustly and consistently across the business, including implementation, assessment, delivery and reporting.
- Support the production of timely management Information surrounding all aspects of operational risk, operational resilience and outsourcing, ensuring issues are escalated through governance as appropriate.
- Manage the maintenance and governance of all operational resilience and outsourcing policies and standards, aligning with the wider policy framework and risk appetites.
- Ensure that training and awareness is rolled out across the business in relation to operational resilience and outsourcing arrangements.
- Oversee the BCP, incident and crisis management process and disaster recovery.
- Support the Head of Operational Risk in the delivery of the Operational Risk Framework including risk event reporting, oversight of the RCSA process, and business risk assessments.
- Provide operational risk input and engagement to project initiatives across the business, as required.
What do we need from you?
- Operational Risk Framework experience within the retail banking sector
- Experience of operational resilience within the retail banking sector including governance, policy frameworks and reporting.
- Experience of outsourcing within the retail banking sector.
- An understanding of financial services regulation with particular focus upon regulation impacting operational resilience and outsourcing.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills and confidence to deal with/challenge senior management.
- Detail oriented but able to make decisions in a time sensitive manner
- Proactive, flexible and able to work under own initiative
- Confident, assertive and pragmatic approach with ability to exercise judgement and discretion where appropriate.
- Ability, willingness and desire to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
What would we ideally like from you?
- Broad understanding of retail finance sector
- Knowledge of digital banking
- Resourceful, has Initiative
- Able to manage across multiple competing priorities without compromising on quality of outcomes.
- Work effectively in a team setting
- Knowledge of process design and wider risk control frameworks
- Project Management experience
- Appropriate professional qualifications
What you’ll get from us?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at