Operational Risk Analyst
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
What’s it all about?
The Operational Risk Analyst assists the Head of Operational Risk in effectively identifying, quantifying and managing the Operational Risk profile of Atom as well as ensuring operation of a robust secondary control infrastructure. The role holder is key in ensuring Operational Risk is understood at all levels across Atom and maintained appropriately and effectively challenged to ensure appropriate reporting and detail is delivered to committees as required.
The Operational Risk Analyst is instrumental in effectively managing and delivering the Operational Risk Framework and is essential in the development of assessments for planned strategic change/business development. The ability to support the utilisation of internal and industry data to ensure the Operational Risk profile is maintained and appropriate and to support the implementation of changes across the business accordingly is desired.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
As the Operational Risk Analyst at Atom bank, your responsibilities will include;
- Development, implementation and maintenance of operational risk policy governance
- Ensure regular review and management of risks, appetite, KRIs and loss data
- Development and maintenance of annual oversight plan and ad hoc risk reviews against Risk and Control Self Assessments (RCSAs)
- Oversight and challenge of senior management to ensure that operational risk is managed within stated risk appetite
- Analysis and reporting of the risk and control environment ensuring timely identification of themes and emerging issues and recommendation for action
- Identification of opportunities for improvement within the operational risk management framework and facilitating their delivery.
What do we need from you?
- Experience in supporting the management and implementation of operational risk frameworks within the financial services sector, particularly retail and commercial banking
- An understanding of banking products, competitors, operating models and strategy
- Strong and demonstrable experience in managing projects, initiating and managing change across diverse areas and able to deliver results in periods of uncertainty
- Knowledge of the key front-to-back processes and associated risks and controls within banking
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills and confidence to deal with/challenge senior management.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Broad understanding of retail finance sector
- Understanding of business continuity processes and procedures
- Understanding of the cybercrime risks facing an online bank
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable at engaging at all levels within the organisation
- Resourceful, has Initiative
- Able to manage across multiple competing priorities without compromising on quality of outcomes
- Work effectively in a team setting
- Knowledge of process design and control frameworks
- Project Management experience
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – employee can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at