Senior Credit Risk Analyst
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019.
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies.
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Atom is the UK’s first app-based bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Want to join us?
The Credit Risk team is responsible for retail credit risk management across the entire customer journey for all lending products. The Senior Credit Analyst is an integral member of the Credit team and plays a key role in supporting the Board’s objective of growing the lending portfolio whilst keeping credit losses within the firm’s risk appetite. The role holder is responsible for various aspects of portfolio analytics and monitoring, developing various credit risk forecasts and tracking performance against forecasts.
The role holder plays a key role in analysing the outputs from IRB models and works with stakeholders to assess the impact of these on business decisions. The role holder is comfortable presenting results to senior members of the Atom team.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Supporting the creation of summary MI packs for submission to Credit Committee and periodic sharing with the regulator
- Performing comprehensive, regular credit reporting and investigative analysis on new business and portfolio management to assess potential impact on IRB models and outputs.
- Providing insight to and set expectation for portfolio and segment trends through targeted analysis, forecasting and the development of regular MI
- Supporting the development of IRB models
- Working closely with the Credit Risk Modelling team to oversee and understand changes made to models
- Providing support for the creation, update and approval of regulatory documents where required
- Developing strong relationships with key business stakeholder teams
- Undertaking ad hoc work as directed by line manager from time to time
- Acting with integrity at all times and embrace the Bank’s culture and values
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Highly numerate, preferably backed by a strong quantitative degree, ideally from a mathematics, statistics, operational research, economics, finance or related subject
- Good understanding of retail banking products and market, preferably with some residential mortgage experience
- A proven track record in credit risk management/analytics, preferably demonstrable experience in financial services
- Previous experience of IRB models and outputs
- Good understanding of the full Credit Risk lifecycle
- Significant experience with data systems and infrastructures in a retail banking environment
- Detailed knowledge of credit bureau data and its interpretation
- Detailed understanding of portfolio analytics
- Extensive programming, database extraction and reporting experience
- Excellent data interpretation/interrogation skills, including data manipulation and analysis techniques, to create meaningful insight
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills with innovative way of thinking and ability to take analysis from concept through to results and recommendations
- Experienced and proficient user of R, SAS, SQL or similar
- Strong MS Office skills, in particular MS Excel
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation and influencing skills, with the ability to adapt content and detail as appropriate for the intended audience
- The ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the business
- Self-starter, able to manage and prioritise multiple complex tasks with minimum supervision and strong attention to detail
- Proactive, hardworking, flexible and able to work under own initiative
- Team player with a strong service orientation
- Ability, willingness and desire to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
What would we ideally like from you?
- Prior experience/knowledge of working for a start-up business and/or launching new products
- Experience of credit risk management across lending products
- Working knowledge of statistical methods i.e. regression/ CHAID/CART
- Experience of building scorecards, decision trees and related statistical models
- Experience using credit risk decision systems such as Decision Strategy, Strategy Manager, BLAZE, TRIAD or similar for scoring/strategy implementation
- Understanding of Responsible Lending and Treating Customers Fairly
- Confident, assertive and pragmatic approach with ability to exercise judgement and discretion where appropriate
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual share option bonus
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days – rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private medical insurance for you and immediate family
- ‘All About Me’ fund – £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- Health cash plan – expenses paid on optical/dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life insurance – four times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role. Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom bank is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom bank will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at