Senior Credit Risk Modeller
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge!
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
The Risk team is made up of Operational Risk, Compliance, Financial Risk and Credit Risk. Our Money Laundering Reporting Officer also sits within this department. Risk is a crucial second line of defence for the bank — it has oversight of the risks associated with running the business and manages them effectively.
An opportunity exists for a new Senior Credit Risk Modeller to help Atom enhance its data analytics & credit risk modelling capability. We’re looking for an individual with in-depth knowledge of Credit Risk modelling to assist us in building a full suite of PD, EAD and LGD models as Atom moves towards becoming an IRB accredited bank. In addition, you will also be required to ensure that the solution aligns with our IFRS9 modelling approach and credit risk management principles.
You’ll be given the rare opportunity to work with all functions within the bank, giving insight to a wide range of activities, working with external data and analytics suppliers where required. Furthermore, as the business grows, the requirements for analytics will expand significantly, providing opportunities to expand your own capabilities.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (Different that’s for sure):
- Developing and implementing various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms and data mining analysis including:
- Supporting regulatory and compliance initiatives within Risk such as IFRS9 & IRB models and stress testing
- Credit Risk scorecards
- Simulation models to help optimise operational processes and quantify and manage operational risks.
- Predictive models and analysis to drive a range of models such as forecasting, pricing, capital, and impairments-
- Delivering end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models and to perform what-if analyses
- Monitoring and maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
- Providing peer review and challenge to analysis and models developed by other members of the team
- Delivering predictive models that generate significant uplift in business performance and/or provide an enhanced customer experience
- Delivering analysis to support key strategic projects and regular reporting requirements
- Delivering ad hoc analysis to provide key insight into business performance through use of data science skills
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather and analyse relevant data for modelling purposes
- Continuous improvement of the entire modelling process, including querying data sources, making modelling decisions, responding to regulations, documentation, and implementation
- Build strong, working relationships within Credit Risk and across the business, communicating results to senior stakeholders through a combination of presentations and technical paper.
- Stay current with industry trends and emerging best practices in credit risk modelling
- Opportunity to mentor and train junior modellers within the team.
What do we need from you?
- Degree in a numerate discipline (e.g. Maths/Statistics/Economics or similar) with a high degree of statistics or comparable qualification.
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as R, tidyverse, dplyr, Python, SQL, SAS or similar
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Good working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills - able to present analysis at all levels of the business and to non-specialists
- A self-starter with excellent time management skills.
What’s in it for you?
- 4 Day Working Week
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days holidays + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every 2 years in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at