Head of Strategy Implementation
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a first class change delivery capability in the North East. Our team currently has over 430 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
The Strategy function sits at the heart of Atom, supporting the Executive and Board to set the direction for the business, we are intertwined across the organisation to support delivery of the strategy through our diverse portfolio of projects and programmes.
Working closely with the Director of Strategy, Head of Change, the Executive Team and the ‘Heads of’ community the Head of Strategy Implementation is central to the development and focussed execution of our business strategy. The role holder will develop and manage the processes, tools and frameworks for formulating strategy and for embedding it into detailed financial, operational and change delivery plans.
As a key member of the strategy leadership team, the role holder will work closely with the Head of Change to ensure that strategic initiatives are properly sized, have a clear benefits case and are appropriately prioritised to support the implementation of our strategy.
You’ll also provide an oversight and assurance capability to ensure that delivery of the strategic change portfolio adheres to the established change delivery framework and that expected benefits are realised.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Develop processes, tools and frameworks to support the efficient operation of the strategic planning process
- Support the strategy development process through the provision of insight into the external market and competitive environment
- Partner with Finance and key business areas to integrate strategic planning and financial planning into a seamless planning process, ensuring that there is clear alignment between strategy execution and the financial plan.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders and other business areas to ensure the strategy is cascaded and understood and that enabling functions understand their role in delivery of the strategy
- Ensure that appropriate strategic KPIs are agreed and embedded into the regular reporting of business and trading performance across the business so execution of the strategy can be tracked and monitored
- Develop an assurance capability to provide support and challenge to the Head of Change, CTO and the Project Management team, ensuring that change capacity is properly aligned, and that delivery of the strategic change agenda adheres to the established change delivery framework
- Manage the Strategy Committee and the process of handoffs and escalation points between the Strategy Committee and the Change Steering Committee
- Provide regular updates to the Executive Committee on the business of Strategy Committee
- Support the evolution of the wider strategy team, contributing to improvements and upskilling to enhance the capabilities and capacity of the overall team
- Provide leadership support to both the PMO and Strategy and Planning team ensuring effective and consistent coaching and development of team members
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to quickly master complex subject matter
- Exceptional research, writing, analytical and organisational skills with an eye for detail and an ability to convey complex information in a clear, concise and logical manner
- Effective communication and influencing skills, with the confidence to provide effective challenge and demonstrate resilience
- Excellent facilitation skills with an ability to build strong, credible and trusted relationships at all levels of the organisation and with external stakeholders
- Experience in managing and delivering change programme
- Experience of portfolio management within a large and complex change programme
- Commercial and financial planning experience with project sizing and benefits realisation as a key focus
- Practical experience in a wide range of change methodologies and delivery techniques
- Strong understanding of the regulatory landscape and its influence/expectation around planning and delivery quality
- Previous experience of deploying and maintaining change delivery standards
- Proven experience in working with executive and senior stakeholders
- Persistent and proven demonstration of leadership and control
- Good judgement and a high level of discretion
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience in retail banking or a financial services business
- Experience of leading major initiatives
- Technical delivery background
- Thorough understanding of the 3 Lines Of Defence model
- A strong leadership record, with coaching as a natural output to keep team members both growing and engaged with the business
- An ability to balance the need for focused and disciplined strategy formulation with the need for pace and agility in execution
- Programme Management accreditation (MSP, APM et al)
- Portfolio management and/or PMO management accreditation
- Mid to senior level coaching or management accreditation
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Car Allowance
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- 28 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Remote & Hybrid working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at