The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Here’s some of the tech we use:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
It’s important that everyone in our team has drive, passion, enthusiasm and a genuine interest in changing the banking industry as well as providing exceptional customer service.
The Strategy function sits at the heart of Atom, supporting the Executive and Board to set the direction for the business. Encompassing the Project Management function, we are intertwined across the organisation to support delivery of the strategy and projects.
As an Atom PM you will have primary ongoing responsibility for the management and delivery of projects across the Atom Bank portfolio. Each project is aligned to Atom Banks strategic pillars with the role to focus on the technical and business delivery of all changes.
The role will be accountable for working with the Atom strategy and technology functions and our key 3rd parties to shape and drive projects to ensure delivery is achieved consistently on time, to scope and to budget. Strong internal and external stakeholder management skills will also be required as on occasions external agencies will be included within the delivery scope.
Due to the number of 3rd parties involved within Atom bank, this role requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills in that the individual should be able to influence whilst building strong dependable relationships to ultimately achieve delivery on time and to pre-agreed cost and quality.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Shape and establish governance of projects
- Establish a Project Delivery Structure (PDS) outlining clear roles, responsibilities and ownership
- Lead, create and baseline clear and concise detailed project/implementation plans with identified critical paths ensuring resource commitment is obtained from all impacted parties
- Project manage the delivery and implementation of the project across multiple workstreams and stakeholders
- Influence all stakeholders and provide solutions/options to challenges ensuring time, cost and quality is always considered
- Install a framework which can be evidenced to demonstrate quality of delivery
- Operate in a calm, controlled manner which inspires confidence and trust across all stakeholders
- Lead, inspire and empower colleagues to take ownership of their delivery scope
- Lead decision making discussions and encourage knowledge sharing through various tools and techniques
- Create a collaborative project environment which empowers stakeholders to become creative in their solutionising of requirements and decision making
- Set and meet realistic deadlines ensuring stakeholder expectations and buy in is agreed to achieve project success
- Enhance the brand by representing Atom externally through various project assignments (e.g.payments/Gov agencies, roadshows)
- Set and meet realistic deadlines ensuring stakeholder expectations and buy in is agreed.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Experience of managing successful projects/programmes/portfolios.
- Experience of managing large/strategic projects of work including 3rd party implementations
- Experience in both Waterfall and Agile delivery techniques
- Agility, Flexibility and resilience
- Persistent demonstration of control
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Degree level qualified
- Member of a professional organisation e.g. Prince2/MSP/APM etc.
- Financial services knowledge.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at