Senior Project Manager
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The Strategy function sits at the heart of Atom, supporting the Executive and Board to set the direction for the business. Encompassing the Project & Programme Management function, we are intertwined across the organisation to support delivery of the strategy and projects.
As an Atom Senior Project Manager you’ll have primary ongoing responsibility for the leadership, management and delivery of strategic Projects, Portfolios & Programmes across the Atom Bank portfolio. Each project is aligned to Atom Banks strategic pillars(Run, Improve & Grow) with the role to focus on the technical and business delivery of all changes.
The role will be accountable for working with the Atom business, technology function and our key 3rd parties to shape and drive projects to ensure delivery is achieved consistently on time, to scope and to budget. Strong internal and external stakeholder management skills will also be required as on occasions external agencies will be included within the delivery scope
Due to the number of 3rd parties involved within Atom bank then this role requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills in that the individual should be able to influence whilst building strong dependable relationships to ultimately achieve delivery on time and to pre-agreed cost and quality.
The role also entails line management responsibilities with the ability to inspire, motivate and provide clear direction an important part to this role.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Establish a Project/Programme/Portfolio Delivery Structure (PDS) outlining clear roles, responsibilities and ownership
- Install a framework which can be evidenced to demonstrate quality of delivery
- Lead, create and baseline, clear and concise detailed project/implementation plans with identified critical paths ensuring resource commitment is obtained from all impacted parties
- Project manage the delivery and implementation of the project across multiple workstreams and stakeholders
- Influence all stakeholders and provide solutions/options to challenges ensuring time, cost and quality is always considered
- Be robust, collaborative and motivational leader able to lead a large team and line management in achieving its goals
- Present oral and written reports outlining progress etc ensuring the audience is always considered
- Operate in a calm, controlled manner which inspires confidence and trust across all stakeholders
- Lead, Inspire and empower colleagues to take ownership of their delivery scope
- Lead decision making discussions and encourage knowledge sharing through various tools and techniques
- Create a collaborative project environment which empowers stakeholders to become creative in their provision of requirements and decision making
- Set and meet realistic deadlines ensuring stakeholder expectations and buy in is agreed to achieve project success
- Management of portfolios of work ensuring resource, delivery plans and budget are managed effectively
- Use of industry knowledge/experience to challenge and influence Atoms future business aspirations
- Provide line management ensuring colleagues are motivated and consistently achieve high performance targets aligned to objectives
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Demonstrable experience of managing successful projects/programmes/portfolios and experience of managing large/strategic projects of work
- A technology and change background
- Experience of managing external bodies/agency’s (FCA, PRA) as part of a regulatory/government implementation
- Expertise and experience in both Waterfall and Agile delivery techniques
- Agility, Flexibility and resilience
- Persistent demonstration of leadership and control
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate
What would we ideally like from you?
- Possess a degree in a relevant field
- Experience in Banking or Financial Services
- Member of a professional organisation e.g. Prince2/MSP/APM etc.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at