As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Speed and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. So, if this appeals to you, consider joining us to deliver innovative solutions.
Want to join us?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, to deploying and managing our technology services.
The IT Delivery team works at the heart of Atom. The team is made up of Scrum Masters, Process Managers and Configuration Managers. Together they ensure that Atom delivers consistent and regular change to enable and grow the business.
The Atom Configuration Manager is an integral role and responsible for ensuring that the configuration, versioning and alignment of all associated systems, components, applications, services etc. are known, maintained and updated for utilisation across the stack by a variety of teams.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Key point of knowledge for Atom’s technology stack.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of Atom’s non-production and production environments to ensure parity and reduce risk for deployments.
- Understand and identify which technical components are required to enable business features to function.
- Understand and identify dependencies between components and the ripple effect of changes across the stack.
- Understand and articulate the technical impact of all changes across Atom’s non-production and production environments to both technical and non-technical resources.
- Provide ongoing support to functional pillars in relation to configuring and baselining items out of sprint/project.
- Create configuration documents utilising a consistent approach; that aligns to SMART.
- Maintain a Configuration Management (CM) database., whilst also maintaining;
- Data quality within the database and items being entered
- Integrity of the information within
- Security requirements (as well as the development of security guidelines to ensure safety of information)
- Audit requirements and any recommendations that are provided
- Lead, update and recommend improvements to existing configuration management processes and procedures based on latest trends and efficiencies.
- Engage and work alongside configuration teams to further enhance and progress the Configuration Management tools in a view to also implement;
- Management process
- Maintenance and oversight
- Automation of the tooling stack
- Versioning control
- Review, analyse and present resolutions to configuration challenges and issues.
What do we need from you?
- Experience of working in a fast-paced Agile/DevOps environment
- Experience of managing complex releases from completion of build, through test and into production environments
- Experience of defining, writing and explaining technical release and config management runbooks to interested parties and key decisions makers
- Experience of working in Cloud based environments, preferably GCP, but AWS or Azure experience would be acceptable
- Working knowledge of software development, in particular the usage of tags to define versions and release of code
- Ability to identify and technically interpret issues that may exist as software is deployed through dev, test and production environments
- Stakeholder management across software engineering, DevOps and service delivery teams
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Working knowledge of operating cloud based applications
- Financial Services or Regulated Environment Experience
- Broad understanding of Systems Architecture
- Knowledge of DevOps automation concepts and tooling, e.g. Terraform and Ansible
- Broad understanding of version control software and code branching concepts (e.g. GitFlow)
- Broad knowledge of configuration management database tooling and processes
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible and remote working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at