As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Atom are at a significant stage of their development to become the UK’s leading, mobile-only bank. With that, we recognise the importance and role that data will play in that journey. The role of data architect is a broad one and links business mission, strategy and processes of an organisation to its data strategy and documents this using multiple architectural models that show how Atom transitions from its current data state to meet the future needs of the organisation in a sustainable and adaptable manner.
You will partner with business and technical teams to craft highly scalable, flexible, and resilient solutions that address customer use cases and accelerate the adoption of Atom.
The ideal candidate, must have the ability to produce innovative strategic technology roadmaps, communicate the approach effectively to senior stakeholders and balance delivery of early business value with strategic progression. Proven ability for driving change through adoption of appropriate technology and design principles.
Operating at both an enterprise and a project level, the role and its responsibilities are wide, influential and interesting.
- Define the future data architecture state and underlying infrastructure
- Define the vision, strategy and principles for data management
- Define standards to support the full end to end data lifecycle within the Atom Enterprise
- Data elements of project and programme solution designs, participating in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment into various environments
- Serve as the liaison between data consumer representatives and data solution development, integration and governance teams
- Must understand how data is, or will be, used and the implication on people, process, products and technology
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the solutions architect community.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related and relevant field; or equivalent work experience.
- Experience of design/implementation/consulting with data architectures
- Create & maintain enterprise Data Roadmap
- Develop Enterprise Data Standards
- Enterprise & project Data Modelling
- Enterprise Data Governance Functions and Frameworks, including Agile/Lean practices
- Reference, Master, Meta Data and Document Practices
- Shows a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organization
- An understanding of architectural frameworks e.g. TOGAF, BIAN, eTOM.
- Experience in established and emerging data technologies, including a mixture of SQL and No-SQL technology experience and how these different approaches combine together
- Familiar with Machine Learning technologies
- Event driven design and streaming technologies, ideally Apache Kafka
- Expertise in deployments across Cloud, on-premise and Hybrid technology estates, specifically Google Cloud
- Is familiar with the software engineering life cycle for development and the concepts and practices required to implement effective
- Information systems in small to medium sized organisations
- Strong mobile development understanding
- RFP/Vendor-selection experience.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at