As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1, 000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
An opportunity exists for a new Data Scientist to help Atom enhance its data & analytics capability
Insight & Intelligence have responsibility for the management of Atom’s data from end to end, from sourcing and integration, right through to delivery of business reporting and predictive models.
As part of the role there will be an opportunity to be involved in all parts of this life cycle within the wider team to support our dynamic business.
The role will give a rare opportunity to work with all functions within the bank, giving insight to a wide range of activities, working with external data and analytics suppliers where required. Furthermore, as the business grows, the requirements for analytics will expand significantly, providing opportunities to expand your own capabilities.
This role will involve a flexible mix of remote and office working based at our HQ in Durham.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
Developing and implementing various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms and data mining analysis including:
Predictive models and analysis to drive pricing and liquidity management
Supporting regulatory and compliance initiatives within risk such as IFRS9 & IRB models and stress testing
Credit Risk scorecards
Simulation models to help optimise operational processes and quantify and manage operational risks
Delivering end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models to perform what-if analyses
Monitoring and maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
Providing peer review and challenge to analysis and models developed by other members of the team
Delivering analysis to support key strategic projects, regular reporting requirements and key insight into business performance
What do we need from you?
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as SQL, R, Python, SAS or similar
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills - able to present analysis to all levels of the business and be able to convey technical information to non-technical colleagues
- A self-starter with excellence time management skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Data visualisation experience with tools such as Tableau, Shiny
- Experience of delivering predictive models to support application or behavioural credit risk scoring, IRB, IFRS9, scorecards, pricing and price elasticity, or product propensity models
- Knowledge of Scala programming language
- Awareness of streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka
- Delivering analysis and/or reporting in a Financial services environment
- Experience in dealing with large data sets
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at