As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
We have a great opportunity for a Defect Manager to join our Tech team. Your role will be to manage the Defect Management Process for all changes within the non-production environments to ensure defects are effectively managed for all implementations.
The role will range from defining, controlling and monitoring the Defect Management Strategy across the Bank to managing individual defects through to resolution.
Previous Banking systems experience is desired and you will have had good exposure to the principles of Testing and Defect Management as well as working experience of Zephyr and JIRA.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Owning, defining, controlling and monitoring the Defect Management Strategy across the Bank for Non-Production
- Document, implement, monitor, and enforce Defect Management processes and procedures
- Managing Defect Triage for all changes in Non-Production covering all aspects of testing including System, Component, SIT, UAT, NFT and OAT
- Define and manage the appropriate Defect Management strategy/approach for Programmes/Projects according to the delivery method being followed (Agile/Waterfall/Mixed)
- Hosting Defect triage sessions and co-ordinate fix deliveries
- Coordinating with Internal and Third-Party Suppliers on Defect Resolution
- Working with a distributed Test team consisting of Permanent Atom Test Managers and Test Partner Test Resources (On/Offshore/Remote), ensuring defects are raised correctly, to an adequate quality and that defects are raised, tested and closed within the required timescales
- Working and liaising with Business Stakeholders to ensure Defect Severity is categorised correctly
- Produce daily/weekly defect reports to Management for all areas under change including defect progress on individual changes as well as consolidated reports showing defect trends across the portfolio
- Liaise with Business Analysts/user community representatives and 3rd party suppliers
- Continuous Review and Improvement of Defect Management Processes considering Industry Best Practices and Atom ways of working extending the use of tools / frameworks
- Management of internal and external project stakeholders across all levels
- Maintenance of RAID logs from a Defect Management perspective
- Actively collaborate with peers, customers and 3rd parties to drive quality across the lifecycle, acting as an advocate for driving QA best practices across project lifecycle
- Innovate and improve the existing testing processes and capability to enhance the current maturity model, presenting and demonstrating the benefits to senior stakeholders and the wider business
- Supporting the Test Management of changes where directed by the Senior Test Manager, ensuring that testing processes are followed as per the Atom Enterprise Test Framework and Test Strategy
What do we need from you?
- Experience of defining Defect Management Strategy and Approach on Programmes/Projects in Agile/ Waterfall/Mixed delivery methodologies
- Experience working with external Test Partners and a external set of QA resources
- Experience of working with 3rd parties and Business Stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent knowledge of testing principles, process, methodologies and tools
- Risk/Issue Management experience
- Experience of working in Agile environment
- Experience of Test Management/Defect Management tools including Jira
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- ISEB/ISTQB Advanced Test Management certification or equivalent
- Proven experience in delivering improvements to Test Practices
- Financial / Banking experience
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at