As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
You may have heard of us, we are Atom, a completely digital bank with no branches on the high street and no traditional banking website.
We are looking for a Swift developer responsible for the development and maintenance of applications aimed towards iOS and OS X, including mobile phones and tablets. Your primary focus will be the development of such applications and their integration with back-end services. You will be working alongside other developers working on different layers of the infrastructure. Therefore, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and creating quality products is essential.
- You will contribute to daily stand-ups with the Mobile Application Development team and escalate any blockers to the Lead Developer or Head of Development
- You will contribute to technical design and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- You will be responsible for developing the Atom’s Mobile Banking Application using Swift and other tools
- You will design and develop data models/structures, API integrations, loosely coupled code and the fundamental application framework using appropriate SW languages/tools
- You will ensure that all developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing, secure development)
- You will ensure that the attack vectors are minimised and security issues are mitigated using a combination of secure development practice and additional Mobile Application security tooling
- You will be responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the Middleware Dev and Test teams or any required integration provider
- You will work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
- At the discretion of the Head of Development, Technical Senior Management, or Exco, execute any other reasonable ask or task in line with technical delivery for Atom
Key performance indicators
- Ensuring the you provide accurate delivery estimates
- Delivery of quality, and ideally defect-free development output, maintaining a high degree of test coverage
- Production of accurate documentation and design artefacts
- Effective triage and resolution of QA defects and Production issues in a third line capacity
- Effective collaboration with all internal and external teams
- Contribution to team technical standards and designs
- Effective time management, good resilience and drive
- De-risked technical delivery and reduction of KPDs
- Smooth issue free releases to non-prod and production environments
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field OR relevance vocational qualification(s), with industry experience
- Experience* in a development capacity encompassing contribution to solution design, and technical documentation production
- Development experience in an Agile development environment with CICD, of which will have encompassed significant experience with the Swift language development (min v3). You will be fully conversant with the iOS OS and Device ecosystem
- Conversant with SOLID and OOP principles and Software Design Patterns, BDD and TDD as approaches
- Experience of UX Development including responsive designs and accessibility, RESTful API integration, securing applications and secure messaging using a variety of methods including but not limited to credentials, certificates, tokens, pinning
- Experience of working closely with third parties and external systems providers
- Clear communicator both written and verbally
- App Store Provisioning, release provisioning
- JIRA/Confluence experience
- Experience of working closely with User Experience and Customer Experience teams
- Improvisation and thinking outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
- Working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience
- Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
- Experience of DevOps environments
- Experience of Android Development
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at