As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot
Want to join us?
We have developed an app that allows you to do your banking wherever you are, whenever you want.
As a Lead iOS Developer at Atom we are looking specifically for you to work as an evangelist in a fresh and dynamic team, working on state of the art projects in IT, for one of the world’s largest start-up Fintechs.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- You will contribute to daily stand-ups with the Mobile Application Development team and escalate any blockers to the Lead Developer or Head of Development
- You will contribute to technical design and to ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- You will be responsible for developing the Atom’s Mobile Banking Application using appropriate SW languages and tools
- You will design and develop data models/structures, API integrations, loosely coupled code and the fundamental application framework using appropriate SW languages/tools
- You will ensure that the attack vectors are minimised and security issues are mitigated using a combination of secure development practice and additional Mobile Application security tooling
- You will ensure that all developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing, secure development)
- You will be responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the Middleware Dev and Test teams or any required integration provider
- You will work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
- At the discretion of the Head of Development, Technical Senior Management, or Exco, execute any other reasonable ask or task in line with technical delivery for Atom
What do we need from you?
- Experience in a development capacity encompassing contribution to solution design, and technical documentation production
- Demonstrable experience of coaching & mentoring Junior Developers
- Development experience in an Agile development environment with CICD, of which will have encompassed significant experience with the Swift language development
- You will be fully conversant with the iOS OS and Device ecosystem
- Conversant with SOLID and OOP principles and Software Design Patterns, BDD and TDD as approaches
- Experience of UX Development including responsive designs and accessibility, RESTful API integration, securing applications and secure messaging using a variety of methods including but not limited to credentials, certificates, tokens, pinning
- Experience of working closely with third parties and external systems providers
- Clear communicator both written and verbally
What would we ideally like from you?
- App Store Provisioning, release provisioning
- JIRA / Confluence experience
- Experience of working closely with User Experience and Customer Experience teams
- Improvisation and thinking outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
- Working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience
- Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
- Experience of DevOps environments
- Experience of Android Development
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at