As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Atom is a digital Bank, which brings with it a set of risks from a security and networking perspective. This role will work within the Security Team to maintain the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Atom’s Networking and Security systems.
The role holder must be an advocate of best in class security and networking practice with the ability to influence at all levels, provide practical advice and guidance, and remain approachable to all of Atom’s people.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank, we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
- Provide support to Atom’s internal and cloud network platform, including but not limited to; Design, Support, Management, Configuration, Performance Monitoring, Tuning, Improvement, Security, High Availability
- Define and Implement Atom’s Network Strategy
- Following industry best practices to design, implement and develop security and network patterns ensuring these align to Atom’s policies, standards and procedures
- Develop and perform operational processes for security and network operational tasks and tooling e.g. SIEM, EDR, Vulnerability Management
- Identify security threats and converting these to a material impact
- Work with Atom Technology teams to support incident, problem and defect management activities
- Manage and own availability issues and drive problem resolution
- Manage knowledge transfer to other members of the Security Team
Key performance indicators
- Time-to-fix/Resolution times
- Ownership and Management of any project work that is given
- Ensure High Service Availability
- Manage Service Availability via monitoring
- Incident triage and technical handover of issues to development team(s)
- SLA Adherence
- Vendor Management (technical)
- Degree in Computer Science, Networking, Security, or equivalent
- Networking certifications such as CCNA, CCNP, Network+
- Security certifications such as Security+, SSCP, CISSP
- Public cloud certifications (preferably GCP)
- Proven track record of working in a hands-on Network and/or Security role
- Proven experience designing, installing, administering, and maintaining physical and wireless networks
- Experience of network and security devices such as firewalls, SIEM, anti-malware, etc.
- Experience of VOIP telephony
- Experience of 3rd connectivity including IPSec and MPLS
- Ability to identify and interpret issues to root cause via log analysis
- Experience supporting Cloud technologies, preferably in Google Cloud Platform
- Experience of Web Application Firewalls (WAF)
- Experience in managing 3rd parties
- Financial Services or Regulated Environment Experience
- Broad understanding of Systems Architecture
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at