Security Operations Analyst
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
What’s it all about?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, and design, implementation of security requirements across internal projects and security operations.
As we are a digital only bank this brings with it a set of risks from a security and networking perspective. As a Security Operations Analyst you’ll work within the Security Team to maintain the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Atom’s Networking and Security systems.
You’ll be an advocate of best in class security and networking practice with the ability to influence at all levels, provide practical advice and guidance, and remain approachable to all of Atom’s people.
What will your typical day look like? Different that’s for sure…
- Design and implementation of security requirements across internal projects and security operations
- Follow industry best practices to design, implement, and develop cloud-specific security patterns aligned to Atom’s policies, standards, and procedures
- Have in depth knowledge and experience with cloud security controls, cloud networking and cloud governance
- Collaborate with engineering and project teams to deliver secure solutions
- Develop and participate in architecture reviews for new business solutions
- Identify security requirements and gaps in infrastructure, applications and processes, and determine and implement appropriate controls
- Participate in and develop processes for security operational tasks and tooling. e.g. SIEM, EDR, Vulnerability Management
- Identifying security threats and converting this to a material impact
- Manage and assess Security risk in accordance with regulatory requirements and industry best practice
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of threat intelligence, industry trends, and relevant product offerings
- Be a key focal point for all security matters across the business
- Raise awareness of security within Atom through various communication exercises
- Ensure the Atom security policy is communicated to and followed by all staff and assist management with investigation of breaches
- Participate in security on-call rota and incident response activities.
What do we need from you?
- Experience of public cloud platforms
- Experience of networks including Cloud and Traditional
- Disaster Recovery Business Continuity
- Good project management and consulting skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to adapt style to suit audience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to build, develop and maintain relationships across all levels
- Confident, assertive, and pragmatic approach with ability to exercise judgment and discretion where appropriate
- Highly organised, with ability to work under pressure and to tight deadline
- Flexible team player who can work autonomously.
What would we ideally like from you?
- Flexibility and the ability to multi-task and deliver
- Be results orientated
- Experience of security governance in a technology environment
- Hold Relevant Security certifications (e.g. CISSP, SSCP, CCSSP, etc.)
- Hold a Networking certification (e.g. CCNA).
What’s in it for you?
- Remote/Hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at