As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20).
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The Technology team at Atom develop Java Applications that interact with complex Kafka Message Queues which will extend to be a major component of our bank. Engineers work alongside our extensive internal development team including Architecture, API Middleware, App Dev and Testing teams as well as third parties, playing an important role in building and supporting our Middleware.
Our Data Engineers deliver first-class data solutions, which are secure, appropriately tested, perform well, and help provide an engaging customer experience through developing and supporting the advanced real-time data platform.
This role plays a proactive part in owning the service provided by the Data Engineering team taking responsibility for support, monitoring, measuring performance and addressing technical issues when required.
The Senior Data Engineer supports the activities of the Lead Data Engineer and the wider team through providing technical support and advice and providing oversight to the products they develop.
This role will involve a flexible mix of remote and office working based at our HQ in Durham.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Develop various Java based applications and APIs/Services that will integrate with a number of internal/external backend systems, interfacing with Go Microservices, Mulesoft APIs and appropriate SW languages/tools
- Design and develop Kafka Topics and API contracts, data transforms, algorithms using appropriate SW languages/tools
- Responsibility for maintaining quality in all associated design and document artefacts and technical documentation ensuring maintainability, readability and testability
- Ensure developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing)
- Responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with other teams within Engineering, as well as the SRE and Test teams
- Work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing
- Play an active role in the Middleware support rota and ensure appropriate handling and resolution of any live defects
- Participate in daily stand-ups to report progress, current focus, and any blockers
- Guide the design of data solutions delivered to the business, ensuring that they meet overarching standards and maintain integrity
- Liaise with DevOps and Architecture, with a required understanding of a development lifecycle.
Leadership and Coaching
- Provide technical support and advice to a team of Data Engineers along with providing oversight to the products they develop.
- Support the activities of the Lead Data Engineer and promote shared values across the Data Engineering team.
Data Management and collaboration
- Responsibility for maintaining robust and high-quality data throughout all design and implementation
- Adherence to data governance principles and standards at all time
- Work collaboratively with the Insight and Intelligence team in maintaining consistent and accurate data
- Continuously evaluate data processes and procedures to maintain a positive and efficient data culture within Atom
- Work collaboratively with other technologists, including Data Architects, DevOps and Project Managers to investigate and develop solutions.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- C-like language (Java, C or Golang) development experience in an Agile development environment
- Message Queues experience
- A working knowledge of RESTful API design, integrated systems, considering good development practices, use of Unit Testing and Security principles
- Hands-on Kafka development experience and/or certification
- Middleware/ESB/Integration best practice
- TDD/BDD experience
- Technical Solution Design, and Technical Documentation experience
- Experience of working closely with third parties and external systems
- Clear communicator both written and verbally
- Demonstrable experience of working with and designing a platform, implementing best practices around data processing on an industrial scale
- Demonstrable solid knowledge of data modelling principles, including data lakes and warehousing tools and techniques
- Hands-on experience of ingesting and processing streamed data using tools such as Kafka, pub sub etc
- Strong understanding of the SDLC of data solutions
- Experience of using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, and of containerisation (Docker/Kubernetes).
What would we ideally like from you?
- Improvisation skills and the ability to think outside the box to solve complex technical challenges
- Experience working in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience
- Experience of functioning in the capacity of 3rd line support
- REST API modelling language experience (RAML, JAML, other)
- Experience in ESB service integration
- Mulesoft development experience or certification.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at