As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Atom has recently been awarded £10m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in small business banking. With this grant, Atom will deliver a highly engaging, tailored, data-driven financial toolkit for small businesses alongside a suite of Smart Lending products underpinned by Atom’s unique smart contract technology and machine learning capabilities. A Senior Engineer is required to join our cross-functional team to help bring this exciting proposition to market.
As a Senior Engineer at Atom, you will architect and build product features from systems of record databases all the way up to the user interface, collaborating closely with colleagues in propositions, design and data science to bring innovative and delightful designs to life. As a senior early team member into the programme, you will take responsibility for technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives and developing best practices.
Our cutting-edge technology stack includes ReactJS, Swift5, Kotlin, Python, GoLang, Kafka, REST APIs, Google Cloud Platform, SQL and NoSQL databases (to name but a few).
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of at least 2 of the following technologies: ReactJS, Swift5, Kotlin, Python, GoLang, Scala, Java, NoSQL
- Writing high quality, robust code involving approaches such as unit testing, code coverage and static code analysis
- A proven track record of successful project/product implementation with minimum of 3 years of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Pair programming and Test-Driven Development
- Work with the solution architects to define the system architecture, own and implement specific microservices, and help shape the overall experience of the products
- Ability to stitch together many different services and processes even if you have not worked with them before
- Leading the planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as a member of an Agile team
- You will be responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the business and testing teams
- Upholding best practices in engineering, security, and design
Key Performance Indicators
- Lead the delivery of quality, and ideally defect-free development output, maintaining a high degree of test coverage
- Leading sprints from an engineering point of view to deliver the company requirements
- Lead the engineering team’s technical standards and designs
- Lead smooth issue free releases to non-prod and production environments
- Production of supporting documentation and design artefacts of the code you develop
- Effective triage and resolution of QA defects and production issues in a third line capacity
- Effective collaboration with all internal and external teams
- Effective time management, good resilience and drive
- De-risked technical delivery
- Naturally curious, you are a “self-starter” who thrives on learning new technologies and bringing new ideas that help the team deliver great outcomes
- Flexible and adaptable, with a willingness to work on both frontend and backend
- Experience with the full development lifecycle, supporting features post-launch
- Experience in programming and interacting with APIs
- Exposure to agile project methodology
- Experience in a start-up or high growth environment
- Experience of working in a product-centric environment
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at